September 04, 2003
USI women’s tennis blanks KWC in season opener
University of Southern Indiana (1-0, 1-0 GLVC): 9
@ Kentucky Wesleyan College (0-2, 0-1 GLVC): 0
The University of Southern Indiana women’s tennis team defeated Kentucky Wesleyan College, 9-0, Wednesday evening in Owensboro, Kentucky. With the season-opening win, the Screaming Eagles improve to 1-0 overall and 1-0 in the GLVC while the Panthers fall to 0-2 overall and 0-1 in the GLVC.
USI started the match in dominating style by sweeping through doubles play, winning each match 8-0. The Eagles wasted little time in singles competition as all six of the matches were taken in straight sets.
The Eagles host the University of Missouri-St. Louis this Friday, September 5, at 3 p.m. to open the first of a three-match weekend homestand, their only home matches of the fall schedule. USI will host Quincy University at 9 a.m. and Southern Illinois University Edwardsville at 3 p.m. this Saturday, September 6, to close out the fall home schedule.
Southern Indiana 9, Kentucky Wesleyan 0
1. Ashley Rees (USI) def. Michelle Walkley 6-0, 6-0
2. Audra Bartelt (USI) def. Sara Sutherlin 6-0, 6-0
3. Nichole Freyberger (USI) def. Elizabeth Bullock 6-1, 6-2
4. Kathleen Davis (USI) def. Margo Milligan 6-0, 6-0
5. Kalie Ackerman (USI) def. Christin Stiles 6-0, 6-0
6. Cassy Froderman (USI) def. Kristen Goodman 6-0, 6-0
1. Rees-Bartelt (USI) def. Walkley-Sutherlin 8-0
2. Freyberger-Davis (USI) def. Bullock-Milligan 8-0
3. Casey Clausman-Rachel Engle (USI) def. Stiles-Goodman 8-0
USI Sports Information