September 06, 2003
USI womenís tennis goes to 4-0
The University of Southern Indiana womenís tennis team took its record to 4-0 with a sweep in GLVC action on Saturday afternoon. USI defeated Quincy University in the morning match 8-1 and Southern Illinois University Edwardville, 5-4.
The Screaming Eagles started off on the right foot against Quincy, sweeping the doubles matches. USI proceed to clinch the victory by winning five of the six singles matches in two sets.
Against SIUE, the Eagles were able to take two of the three doubles matches, giving them a 2-1 lead in the match. The loss by USIís number two doubles team marked the first time an Eagles doubles pair had lost in 12 matches this fall.
In singles action, the Eagles clinched the match with victories by sophomore Ashley Rees (Vincennes, Indiana) at number one freshman Audra Bartelt (Jasper, Indiana) at number two and sophomore Cassy Froderman (Brazil, Indiana) at number six.
USI will be on the road for the rest of the fall, starting with Northern Kentucky University in Highland Heights, Kentucky, on Friday, September 12.
Southern Indiana 8, Quincy 1
1. Ashley Rees (USI) def. Laura Schuering (QU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Audra Bartelt (USI) def. Kerry Romani (QU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Nichole Freyberger (USI) def. Julia Rodriguez (QU) 6-4, 6-5
4. Kathleen Davis (USI) def. Erika Fraser (QU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Becky Rostle (QU) def. Kalie Ackerman (USI) 2-6, 6-4 (10-4)
6. Cassy Froderman (USI) def. Katie Eades (QU), 6-3, 6-1
1. Rees-Bartelt (USI) def. Sheuring-Romani (QU), 8-1
2. Freyberger-Davis (USI) def. Rodriguez-Fraser (QU), 8-5
3. Rachel Engle-Casey Clausman (USI) def. Postle-Eades (QU), 8-5
Southern Indiana 5 ,
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville 4
1. Ashley Rees (USI) def. Coryn Reich (SIUE), 6-3, 6-1
2. Audra Bartelt (USI) def. Chrissy Yingst (SIUE), 6-1, 6-2
3. Laura Zeeb (SIUE) def. Nichole Freyberger (USI), 6-3, 6-4
4. Gina Wohltman (SIUE) def. Kathleen Davis (USI), 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 10-8*
5. Lisa Warner (SIUE) def. Kalie Ackerman (USI), 6-2, 6-1
6. Cassy Froderman (USI) def. Allison Coats (SIUE), 6-2, 6-1
*Match was decided on a super tie-breaker.
1. Rees-Bartelt (USI) def. Reich-Yingst (SIUE), 8-1
2. Zeeb-Warner (SIUE)def. Freyberger-Davis (USI), 8-5
3. Rachel Engle-Casey Clausman (USI) def. Coats-Wohltman (SIUE) 8-6
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information