September 17, 2003
Screaming Eagles get back on track
The University of Southern Indiana women's tennis team got back on track after a rough weekend with an 8-1 victory over Bellarmine University Wednesday afternoon in Louisville, Kentucky. The Screaming Eagles raised their overall and GLVC record to 5-2.
USI jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead by sweeping the doubles matches. Seniors Nichole Freyberger (Jasper, Indiana ) and Kathleen Davis (Sullivan, Indiana) capped off the sweep at number two doubles with a 9-8 win on a 10-point tiebreaker.
In singles play, USI won five of the six matches with only one of the wins going to a third set. Another positive for the Eagles was sophomore number one Ashley Rees (Vincennes, Indiana), freshman number two Audra Bartelt (Jasper, Indiana), and number four Davis stopping two-match losing streaks in singles action with straight set victories.
Junior Kalie Ackerman (Allendale, Illinois) continued her success in singles play since moving to the number six position. Ackerman has won three straight since the move from number five to six, including Wednesday's three-set victory.
The Eagles will take a break from GLVC action this weekend when they play in the 2003 Intercollegiate Tennis Association NCAA II Great Lakes Regional in Indianapolis, Indiana. The singles and doubles draw will start Friday, September 19, and will conclude Saturday, September 21.
Southern Indiana 8, Bellarmine 1
1. Ashley Rees (USI) defeated Laurie Reinhard (BU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Audra Bartelt (USI) defeated Shingi Nuwanza (BU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Kelly Henderson (BU) defeated Nichole Freyberger (USI) 6-3, 6-4
4. Kathleen Davis (USI) defeated Carrie McCoy (BU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Cassy Froderman (USI) defeated Sona Maroukhyan (BU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Kalie Ackerman (USI) defeated Jade Best (BU) 1-6, 6-0, 6-4
1. Rees/Bartelt (USI) defeated Reinhard/Nuwanza (BU) 8-6
2. Freyberger/Davis (USI) defeated Henderson/Best (BU) 9-8 (10)
3. Clausman/Engle (USI) defeated McCoy/Jenna Hurt (BU) 6-3
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information