April 04, 2004
USI women's tennis splits on Saturday
The University of Southern Indiana women's tennis team split a pair of neutral site matches Saturday afternoon, falling to Grand Valley State University, 5-4, and defeating Division I Cleveland State University, 4-3.
The Screaming Eagles led GVSU after double action, 2-1, as number two doubles seniors Nichole Freyberger (Jasper, Indiana) and Kathleen Davis (Sullivan, Indiana) and number three doubles junior Kalie Ackerman and freshman Rachel Engle (Walton, Indiana) posted victories.
In singles play , GVSU outlasted the Eagles by winning two of four three-set matches and four of six overall. The Lakers also won three of four tie-breakers in the singles matches. Sophomore number one player Ashley Rees (Vincennes, Indiana) and sophomore number five Cassy Froderman(Brazil, Indiana) were the three-set winners for the Eagles.
In the victory over Cleveland State, the Eagles picked up the doubles point by once again winning at number two and three doubles. In this match, Davis combined with Froderman for the victory at number two, while Ackerman and Engle won their third straight match of the weekend.
In singles, USI split the six matches with freshman Audra Bartelt (Jasper, Indiana), Ackerman, and Engle picking up victories.
The Eagles will conclude the spring schedule with their only home match of the spring Thursday, April 15, by hosting Indiana University Southeast. Match time at the USI Tennis Courts will be 5 p.m.
Grand Valley State 5, Southern Indiana 4
1. Ashley Rees (USI) def. Marie Cameron (GVS) 7-6 (2), 4-6, 6-2
2. Nicki Fairchild (GVS) def. Audra Bartelt (USI) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Alison Koopsen (GVS) def. Nichole Freyberger (USI) 6-4, 7-5
4. Laura Sukup (GVS) def. Kathleen Davis (USI) 6-7 (0), 6-2, 6-3
5. Cassy Froderman (USI) def. Zanosia Syeb (GVS) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Natalie Pallett (GVS) def. Kalie Ackerman (USI) 7-6 (2), 7-6 (5)
1. Cameron/Sukup (GVS) def. Rees/Bartelt (USI) 8-1
2. Davis/Freyberger (USI) def. Fairchild/Koopsen (GVS) 9-7
3. Ackerman/Engle (USI) def. Syeb/Pallett (GVS) 8-2
Southern Indiana 4, Cleveland State 3
1. Sarah Galon (CS) def. Ashley Rees (USI) 6-2, 6-1
2. Audra Bartelt (USI) def. Paulina Reyes (CS) 6-1, 6-1
3. Morgan Ungerott (CS) def. Kathleen Davis (USI) 6-1, 6-2
4. Rebecca Bicksler (CS) def. Cassy Froderman (USI) 6-2, 6-3
5. Kalie Ackerman (USI) def. Amand Gerny (CS) 6-2, 6-1
6. Rachel Engle (USI) def. Marcella Capozziello (CS) 6-0, 6-2
1.Galon/Ungerott (CS) def. Rees/Bartelt (USI) 8-5
2. Davis/Froderman (USI) def. Reyes/Capozziello (CS) 8-3
3. Ackerman/Engle (USI) def. Bicksler/Gerny (CS) 8-4
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information