September 01, 2001
USI women's tennis wins big over Hanover, 8-1
The University of Southern Indiana women's tennis started 2001-02 with a resounding 8-1 victory over Hanover College at the USI Tennis Courts on Saturday morning. USI has won its first match of the season each of the last four years.
After winning two of the three doubles matches, the Screaming Eagles swept the singles matches led by its All-GLVC performers Michelle Lenahan (Vincennes, Indiana) and Emily Blinzinger (Oakland City, Indiana) at number one and two. Lenahan defeated Hanover's Julie McConnell, 6-1 and 6-2, while Blinzinger blew past Sara Bryant, 6-3 and 6-1.
Number three Gwen Gosman (Jasper, Indiana) posted the widest margin of victory for the Eagles, defeating Rachel Sharp, 6-1, 6-1.
The next action for the Eagles will be the Great Lakes Valley Conference opener when they travel to Indianapolis, Indiana, to play the University of Indianapolis on Friday, September 7, at 3 p.m. The next day, Saturday, September 8, the Eagles will play the defending GLVC champion Northern Kentucky University at 9 a.m. in a rematch of the 2000 GLVC Tournament Championship.
The Eagles' next match at the USI Tennis Courts will be Friday, September 21, when Southern Illinois University Edwardsville visits Evansville for a 3 p.m. match.
1. Michelle Lenahan (USI) def. Julie McConnell (HC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Emily Blinzinger (USI) def. Sara Bryant (HC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Nichole Freyberger (USI) def. Kari Nurrenbern (HC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Gwen Gosman (USI) def. Rachel Sharp (HC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Kathleen Davis (USI) def. Megan Parrott (HC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Kailey Ackerman (USI) def. Betty Uyesugi (HC) 6-3, 6-2
1. Lenahan-Blinzinger (USI) def. McConnell-Bryant (HC) 8-3
2. Nurrenbern-Parrott (HC) def. Freyberger-Davis (USI) 8-4
3. Gosman-Jamie Carie (USI) def. Kendra Harter-Angie Obergfell (HC) 8-5
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information