October 12, 2001
USI women’s tennis advances in GLVC Tournament
The University of Southern Indiana women’s tennis team advanced after the first round of the Great Lakes Valley Conference Tennis Tournament in Indianapolis, Indiana, Friday. The Screaming Eagles, who are the number two seed, defeated seventh seeded University of Missouri-St. Louis, 5-1.
The Eagles finished second last season to Northern Kentucky University, who is the number one seed again this fall and has won the GLVC regular season two-years in a row.
Still on court at 9:02 pm Central USI leads SIU-E, 3-0 UMSL and Quincy are tied at 2-2.
The GLVC Tournament Team Results:
#2 Southern Indiana 5, #7 Missouri-St. Louis 1
2. Emily Blinzinger (SI) d. Devin Foy, (UMSL), 6-0 2-0, retired
3. Nichole Freyberger (SI) d. Lauren Spangler (UMSL), 6-1 6-0
4. Gwen Gosman (SI) d. Katie Duffy (UMSL), 6-1 6-0
1. Blinzinger-Michelle Lenahan (SI) d. Foy-Casie Skaggs (UMSL), 8-5
2. Kathleen Davis-Freyberger (SI) d. K. Duffy-Spangler (UMSL), 8-4
3. Jamie Carie-Gosman (SI) d. Christy Bronson-C. Duffy (UMSL), 8-4
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information