October 13, 2001
USI women's tennis finishes second in GLVC
USI womenís tennis GLVC Tournament
Southside Tennis Club (Indoors) Indianapolis, IN
The University of Southern Indiana womenís tennis team finished second in the Great Lakes Valley Conference, falling 5-1 to Northern Kentucky University in the GLVC Championship match Saturday in Indianapolis, Indiana. The Screaming Eagles have lost four matches to GLVC institutions the last two seasons, all to NKU.
The Eagles defeated Southern Illinois University Edwardsville late Friday night, 5-2, to advance to Saturday championships match-up. USIís record falls to 12-2 overall in 2001-02.
For complete GLVC Tournament Results, click here on Box Score below.
#2 Southern Indiana 5, #3 SIU-Edwardsville 2
1. Amber Stanley (SIU-E) d. Michelle Lenahan (USI), 6-4 6-1
2. Emily Blinzinger (USI) d. Laura Zeeb (SIU-E), 6-3 6-2
4. Chrissy Yingst (SIU-E) d. Gwen Gosman (USI), 3-6 6-1 6-2
5. Kathleen Davis (USI) d. Allisn Coats (SIU-E), 6-0 6-4
1. Blinzinger-Lenahan (USI) d. Stanley-Zeeb (SIU-E), 9-8 (5)
2. Davis-Nichole Freyberger (USI) d. Coryn Reich-Yingst (SIU-E), 8-2
3. Jamie Carie-Gosman (USI) d. Coats-Keli Keener (SIU-E), 8-4
#1 Northern Kentucky 5, #2 Southern Indiana 1
1. Jamie O'Hara (NK) d. Michelle Lenahan (SI), 6-1 7-5
2. Juliana Hite (NK) d. Emily Blinzinger (SI), 6-2 6-0
3. Elizabeth Brunsman (NK) d. Nichole Freyberger (SI), 6-0 6-0
1. Hite-O'Hara (NK) d. Blinzinger-Lenahan (SI), 8-4
2. Kathleen Davis-Freyberger (SI) d. Brunsman-Lindsay England (NK), 8-6
3. Christina Dausch-Jessica Smith (NK) d. Jamie Carie-Gwen Gosman (SI), 8-3
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information