UNIVERSITY DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND EMERGENCY CLOSINGS
Classes and special events at the University of Southern Indiana are rarely cancelled or delayed, and seldom are University offices closed. When conditions warrant, USI may delay classes and/or opening the University, cancel classes (but University offices remain open) or close the University.
When the main campus is closed, all events (including those sponsored by off-campus organizations) are cancelled. Announcements about individual department or program activities will not be made.
Announcement of Delays, Cancellations or Closings
Information on class delays, cancellations or University closings is announced and conveyed in several ways. USI employees and students are encouraged to be familiar with the following ways to receive information.
- A RAVEAlert (email, text message and voice message options) email is automatically sent to employees and students via their USI account. However, preferred email addresses, phone and mobile phone numbers to receive voice alerts and text messages may be added. RAVEAlert accounts can be managed and tested by logging on to myUSI and clicking the RAVEAlert icon. Highly recommended.
- Information is posted to the USI homepage at www.usi.edu. This will be a primary source for announcements. Highly recommended.
As available, additional information about facility hours, food service, Rice Library, Recreational Fitness and Wellness Center, transportation and other resources will be posted at www.usi.edu/emergency.
- Dial 812-464-8600 to reach USI's main switchboard. An emergency message may be recorded when there are no operators available.
- Radio and television stations and local newspapers receive delay, cancellation or closing announcements.
- Social media sites, including Facebook and Twitter will carry updates.
Preparedness initiatives offer simple steps to plan for emergencies. They include prepare, make a plan, and be informed. Make a plan today of how you will connect with announcements about cancellations, delayed openings and closings, manage your RAVEAlert options (if you have not already done so), check the emergency preparedness webpage at www.usi.edu/emergency for more details, be familiar with campus snow routes and keep this information handy.
At the beginning of each semester, faculty and students should discuss plans for communicating class status related to University closing, class cancellation or delayed opening.
Discounts are available to USI students, employees, alumni, university retirees, and members of the Parents & Families Association at participating Evansville business.
CLICK HERE to go to list of participating businesses.
Let your Staff Council members know about it by filling out the form here.
Or find a current representative to contact here.