What is Staff Council?
Staff Council is an elected group of individuals who represent the support staff of the University of Southern Indiana. Its purpose is to support the University and assist in making the managerial process more effective by:
- Encouraging the enhancement of the work environment and work life of employees.
- Fostering staff involvement in University matters.
- Upholding and strengthening the mission of the University of Southern Indiana.
Overview and History
The USI administration approved the formation of a USI Staff Council in the fall of 1989. An Ad Hoc committee was formed to develop a mission statement and set of bylaws. The first official meeting was held in July 1990.
The Council has an executive committee consisting of a Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, and Immediate Past Chair. The Council has the following standing committees:
- Nominating - prepares a slate of candidates for the annual election held in spring
- Economic Benefits - reviews and studies matters related to salary and benefits for employees
- Employee Relations - discusses and reviews improvements in working relationships, conditions, and environment for employees; plans the annual USI employee picnic
- Bylaws Committee - convened as needed.
Members of Staff Council also participate on the following University Committees:
- Ad Hoc Committee for Campus Beautification (Adopt-A-Spot)
- Ad Hoc Task Force on promotion paths
- Campus Security Act Compliance Committee
- Equal Employment Opportunity Appeal & Hearing Board
- Founders' Day Celebration Committee
- North Central Association Self-Study Team
- Search Committees for administrative positions, including the Office of the President for the University of Southern Indiana
- Solicitation Policy Revision Committee
- Substance Abuse Committee
- Traffic Appeals
- University Signage Committee
- Wellness Committee
Staff Council provided significant input and/or support for the development of the following:
- Conflict Resolution Policy
- New employee orientation (Employee Ambassadors)
- Procedures for filling vacant positions
- Evaluation process, including development of employee self-evaluation form
- Fall and Spring University meetings for support staff
- Inclusion of merit pay in annual salary increases
- Revision of classification structure for support staff
Staff Council also sponsored/coordinated the following:
- Initiated yearly campus employee picnic
- Initiated student worker appreciation day
- Inclement Weather Information Process and Card
- Sponsor the annual USI Giving Tree project (Nov/Dec)
- Sponsor weekly bible study during the academic year
Staff Council is involved in making:
- Presentations to the Board of Trustees as requested.
- Presentation to the President at the annual budget hearing.
Other areas of involvement:
- Staff Council Employee Ambassador brochure for new employees.
- Sponsor and/or assist at blood drive.
- Assist at Employee Health Fair.