The Giving Tree was originally started as an outreach of Student Affairs. While brainstorming at a Student Affairs Retreat, Dr. John Byrd, former vice president for Student Affairs, asked for ideas their division could do for the University community. Donna Moore, Chris Jines & Pam Hopson formed the idea for a giving tree for needy students and/or staff. Student Affairs agreed to purchase four artificial trees to be placed around campus. Staff Council took over this yearly mission in 2001 and created criteria forms of eligibility. There were 34 individual people who received gifts that first year.
During the Holiday Season (November -December) the following locations have the applications for the “Giving Tree”. Staff Council will send out emails at the end of October, letting the USI Community know of when the event begins and applications are due.
- Children’s Center (CN) – Amanda Wheaton-Collins
- Religious Life (OD) – Christine Hoehn
- Counseling Center (OC 1051) – Diana Rumsey
- Housing & Residence Life (RES) – Betsy Farley
- Dean of Students Office (UC 1229) – Mary Alice Weigand
- Recreation, Fitness and Wellness (RFWC) – Jeannie Kuebler