Housed within Academic Skills, the goal of the USI Athletic Peer Coach Program is to assist USI student athletes both academically and with the overall adjustment to college life. All student athletes are eligible to participate. Participants are assisted by fellow student athletes who have been selected to serve as peer coaches. These peer coaches are positive role models, both athletically and academically.
The program can have a number of benefits for student athletes who participate in it:
- Improving overall academic performance
- Enhancing study skills, including test-taking and note-taking
- Developing routine study schedules
- Increasing motivation for classes
- Studying in a structured environment with supportive people
- Becoming more connected to campus and adjusting to college life
- Learning about available resources at USI
- Enhancing interpersonal communication skills
- Getting to know university personnel and other student athletes on campus
All athletic peer coaches complete an extensive training program led by the Academic Skills staff and are supervised by Learning Specialist Darrin Sorrells (firstname.lastname@example.org).