Placement tests help students transition smoothly to their studies at USI. Tests are given in math, English, reading, and foreign language. Placement tests are required for new and transfer students with some exceptions.
Students should complete the necessary tests prior to their orientation day, not at the time of orientation. By completing the tests at least one week before their orientation session, students will prevent delays in the orientation/registration process on the day of orientation.
Students who will be receiving dual credit do not need to take the tests, but they should bring with them an unofficial transcript or paperwork indicating that they are currently enrolled in a dual credit course. Students might continue receiving emails saying that they need tests.
General testing information:
- Tests are available in math, English, reading, French, German and Spanish.
- A student ID number and photo ID are required to test.
- Walk-in testing is available Monday – Friday (Central Time) 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Allow 1 hour each for the math and English test and a ½ hour each for the reading or foreign language; however, the English test is the only timed test.
- Students with disabilities who are requesting special accommodations:
- Must be registered with the Office of Disability Resources.
- Must schedule an appointment with Academic Skills by calling 812/464-1743 at least two weeks prior to placement testing.
- Documentation of a disability must be received in Academic Skills prior to the appointment date.
Contact us with questions or to schedule an appointment.