A foreign language placement assessment is recommended for students who studied French, German, Japanese, Latin, or Spanish in high school and earned grades of "B" or better.
Placement tests are available in French, German, and Spanish. Students who took Japanese or Latin in high school should contact the Department of Modern and Classical Languages at 812/461-5203 to schedule an interview.
Taking a foreign language placement test does not obligate a student to take a foreign language class.
Taking a foreign language placement test has several benefits:
- A foreign language class satisfies the core curriculum.
- The test wil help students make an informed decision about whether or not to take a foreign language class.
- Depending on a student's placement, additional credits can be earned. For example, if a student places into Spanish 203, enrolls in that course and earns a "B" or better, for a small fee the student can receive credit for the two preceding courses in Spanish.
- Some majors have a foreign language requirement.
- Students earning a BA must successfully complete a four course sequence in the same language through Language 204 or higher.
Questions regarding foreign language placement can be directed to Dr. Silvia Rode, Chair, Department of Modern and Classical Languages, at 812/461-5203 or email@example.com.