All introductory writing courses (ENG 101, ENG 100, and GENS 098) have mandatory placement as required by the Department of English. Placement into an appropriate writing course is determined by a combination of factors.
For direct placement into English 101, students must meet two of the following three* criteria:
- High school rank percentile of 51% or higher, or high school GPA of 3.8 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- New SAT Reading score of 25 or higher (previously 450); or ACT Reading score of 19 or higher
- New SAT Writing & Language score of 26 or higher (previously 450); or ACT Writing or ELA score of 19 or higher
*An SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) section score of 510 or higher is considered to meet both criteria numbers 2 and 3; this is used when the SAT Reading and SAT Writing & Language scores are not accessible.
Students who do not have a direct placement for English must take a placement test:
- a written response to a prompt
- timed (50 minutes)
- completed on a computer
- assessed by members of the USI English department
Students will place into one of three composition courses:
- ENG 101 (Rhetoric and Composition I: Critical Thinking)
- ENG 100 (Introduction to Rhetoric and Composition)
- GENS 098 (Strategies for Writers)
Questions regarding English Placement can be directed to Audrey Hillyer, Director of Composition, at 812/465-1134 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Deanna Odney in Academic Skills at 812/464-1743 or email@example.com.