The University has mandatory reading placement. Based on their SAT Critical Reading (SATR) or ACT Reading (ACTR) score and/or transfer credit, some students will be required to take an entry-level reading course. Students without information will need to take a reading placement test in Academic Skills.
Students will place into one of three reading levels:
- University Level indicates that the student is capable of reading independently and ready to enroll in reading-intense college courses.
Student will be exempt from a reading course based certain criteria:
- SAT Critical Reading score of at least 420
- ACT Reading score of at least 17
- 10+ hours of transfer credit
- Placement test Reading Comprehension score of at least 80
A reading placement test will be given to students who do not have SAT/ACT scores or transfer credit.
Students will complete the reading courses as a sequence:
Students who begin their reading placement in GENS 099 will also need to enroll in the subsequent reading course, GENS 151, to be prepared for college-level reading. It is recommended that students enrolled in a full semester GENS 151 course also enroll in one of the following courses concurrently: History 101, 102, 111, 112; Economics 175; Sociology 121; or Biology 105.
Questions regarding reading placement can be directed to Lori Saxby, Reading Specialist, in Academic Skills at 812/464-1743 or firstname.lastname@example.org.