The University has mandatory reading placement. Based on SAT Critical Reading (SATR) or ACT Reading (ACTR) score and/or transfer credit, some students will be required to take an entry-level reading course. Students without information will need to take a reading placement test in Academic Skills.
Student will be exempt from a reading course based on the following:
- SAT Critical Reading score of at least 420
- ACT Reading score of at least 17
- 10+ hours of transfer credit
- ACCUPLACER Reading Comprehension score of at least 80
Students will place into one of three reading levels:
- University Level indicates that the student is capable of reading independently and ready to enroll in reading-intense college courses.
Students who begin their reading placement in GENS 099 will also need to enroll in the subsequent reading course, GENS 151, in order to be prepared for college level reading. It is recommended that students enrolled in a full semester GENS 151 course also enroll in one of the following courses concurrently: History 101, 102, 111, 112; Economics 175; Sociology 121; or Biology 105.
For more information about Reading Placement, contact Lori Saxby, Reading Specialist, in Academic Skills at 812/464-1743 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Email Academic Skills
The Writers' Room