University of Southern Indiana


How can I check my current academic standing?

  1. Check your unofficial transcript on myUSI 
  2. Look at the last semester completed 
  3. Your academic standing will be listed

Should I repeat a course in which I received below a C?
Repeating a course is often the best option to improve your GPA.  Remember when repeating a course that the most recent grade will replace the first grade (regardless if it is a lower grade). For further information regarding the course repeat policy, refer to  the Office of the Registrar.

How can I have failed when I dropped the course?  I quit going to class, but I still received an F.
The only way to “drop” a course is for you to use MyUSI or go to the Registrar’s Office.  “Withdrawing” from a course is a formal procedure requiring a “Add/Drop Form” be given to the Registrar’s Office after obtaining your instructor’s and/or advisor’s signature.  Just because you stopped attending the class does NOT mean you withdrew.  You were still officially enrolled, so the F is an actual grade on your record.  And, you are still financially responsible for the course.

Academic Probation

What does academic probation mean? 
Students who fail to meet the minimum standards of academic progress will be placed on academic probation for one semester. During that semester, the student should make use of the available university resources to improve academic skills and performance. Failure to meet the minimum standards of progress at the end of the probationary semester will result in academic dismissal from the university.

Does probation mean I may not return to school next semester?
No, it is a warning that you might be dismissed if you do not improve your GPA in the next term.

Will Academic Probation affect my registration?
A hold is placed on your registration account.  All UD students on academic probation must meet with a University Division Advisor before this hold is removed. Call 812/465-1606 for an appointment.

Are there other resources to help me earn my way back into good standing?
Visit Academic Skills tutoring for learning assistance and resources.  You can receive tutoring on a wide variety of subjects and handouts on a variety of academic study strategies such as time management and successful test-taking.  You can also meet with a certified Study Skills Tutor to go over study strategies in more depth.

Should I change my major?
If the course(s) that caused you problems is a course in your major, then you may want to reevaluate your academic goals. We would recommend that you take GENS111 (Career Planning) to do some career exploration.

How does probation affect my financial aid?
Probation may have a direct influence on your financial aid since federal regulations require that you maintain satisfactory academic progress to receive financial aid.  Contact the Financial Aid Office for a review of your situation.

How will probation affect my graduation?
To graduate from USI, you must have a minimum 2.000 cumulative GPA.  Each major has different GPA requirements. Until you meet these requirements, you will not be allowed to graduate.

What will happen if I am unable to raise my cumulative GPA to the required GPA?
Failure to meet the above stated required GPA levels at the end of the probationary semester will result in academic dismissal.

Academic Dismissal

What does academic dismissal mean? 
A student who is academically dismissed from the university may not register for credit classes for a minimum of one semester unless readmitted provisionally. Such readmissions are not automatic.

Provisional Readmission

What does provisional readmission mean?
An academically dismissed student may apply for provisional readmission for one semester according to the terms of a provisional readmission contract agreed upon by the student and the readmitting college. At the discretion of the departments, students provisionally readmitted may be subject to some or all of the following requirements:

Limitation to 12 or fewer credit hours 
Repetition of courses with grades of D or F 
Attendance at mentoring appointments 
Approval by academic advisor of all changes to the schedule of classes Use of campus resources for academic support

Education Center Room 1142 812-465-1606

Contact Web Services


Send Email to