UC West Information
Welcome Tent Volunteer Orientation
Thank you for volunteering to assist in welcoming the newest Eagles! Your time will make a difference in the lives of our students. To assist you, we have created an online volunteer orientation. Please take time to review this information.
The purpose of the welcome tents and the information table is to:
- welcome new and returning student to the campus and the new academic year,
- provide answers to questions that will assist in making students first days on campus more successful,
- offer a snack break between classes
University Center West main floor (east entrance)
Orr Center bus stop
Outside the Tech Center
Outside the Wright Administration Building
Supplies at each location
To assist you, we will have the following items available at each location:
- Reference list of phone numbers for Student Development Programs and other departments.
- List of the other volunteers for that day, so you will be aware of who your replacement will be.
- Free cookies, coffee (7-10 a.m.), ice tea (10 a.m.-6 p.m.) and water for anyone who needs a little energy. (Refreshments provided by Sodexo.) We ask that each student only takes one cookie. We will replenish refreshments every hour, but will not be able to in between those scheduled times. Do not call Food Service about replenishing the supply.
- Crate of information including: campus maps, building layouts with classroom locations, campus phone book, Welcome Week Schedules, Frequently Asked Questions handout, a campus bus schedule and map, and parking information.
- Engage students in conversations and help them find answers to their questions.
- Be upbeat and excited.
- Get to know the other staff or faculty member working with you.
- Hand out the refreshments.
- Wear your USI nametag (if you have one) and the "Welcome USI Students" button.
- It would be wonderful if you could wear USI apparel, but we understand if that's not possible.
- Arrive at least five minutes prior to the start of your shift.
- Make sure a replacement has arrived before you leave the tent.
- If your replacement does not arrive and you need to leave, contact the Office of Student Development Programs and we will send someone to relieve you.
- If you are working the last shift of the day, please wait until someone from Student Development Programs arrives to collect everything.
If you have any questions regarding these volunteer activities or Welcome Week, contact the Office of Student Development Programs at 465-7167 or email@example.com.
8600 University Boulevard - Evansville, IN 47712-3596 - 812/464-8600
Copyright © 2014 University of Southern Indiana. All rights reserved.