News and Faculty Spotlight
Faculty Achievement, Engagement and Publications in 2021
- Retirement: Mr. Tim Mahoney, instructor emeritus of economics (from Fall '20 eNewsletter)
- Faculty publication: Price, C. R. (2020). Do women shy away from competition? Do men compete too much?: A (failed) replication. Economics Bulletin, 40(2), 1538-1547. http://www.accessecon.com/Pubs/EB/2020/Volume40/EB-20-V40-I2-P132.pdf
- USI Role Models: Dr. Daria Sevastianova, associate professor of economics (YouTube)
- Dr. Daria Sevastianova, associate professor of economics, interviewed on Channel 44 News about the economic impact of the pandemic
- Yang, J. and Cashel-Cordo, P. "The Effectiveness of a Predictor-corrector Technique in European Currency Option Valuation." Global Business & Finance Review.* Link: http://www.gbfrjournal.org/html/?pmode=journalview&by=2019&bm=12&vol=24&no=4&subno=&page1=1&page2=7
- Dr. Curtis Price, associate professor of economics. Community Presentation Delivered: "Using Classroom Experiments to Recruit and Engage Local High School Students: The Value and Efficacy of Engaged Student Learning in the Griffin Experimental Economics Laboratory" delivered to Shepard Leadership and Law Academy and USI Special Events.
- Shifflet, M. A., Martinez, C., Oppenlander, J., & Shmerling, S. (2020). "Improving health care quality: Case studies with JMP." John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Community presentation: Dr. Daria Sevastianova, associate professor of economics, at Shepard Academy to Harrison High School students.
- Faculty presentation: Dr. Daria Sevastianova, associate professor of economics. Title of presentation: Study Abroad Information Session, sponsoring event: USI Center for International Programs.
- Dr. Daria Sevastianova, associate professor of economics. Title of panel moderated: Women in E-STEM Careers at St. Louis Federal Reserve.
- Dr. Daria Sevastianova, associate professor of economics, presented "Understanding government and Federal Reserve Policy during the COVID-19 Crisis" at the Kentucky History Education's Communication in History Virtual Conference.
- Faculty presentation: Dr. Perry Burnett, associate professor of economics, presented, "The Road to Happiness is Paved with Deception" at USI's 2019 Interdisciplinary Colloquium on Movement(s).
- Faculty presentation: Dr. Perry Burnett, associate professor of economics, was invited to be a presenter at the luncheon event of the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA). His presentation was titled, “Welcome to the Bubble Age: Asset Collapse, Fake News and Euphoria”.
- Mr. Tim Mahoney, instructor in economics, interviewed about the impact of the government shutdown (WEHT)
- Faculty presentation: Dr. Daria Sevastianova, associate professor of economics, presented, "Introduction to the Economic Education Center at USI," at the Visionaries Breakfast at Old National Bank, sponsored by Purdue University, Indiana Council for Economic Education, and tri-state community leaders.
- Dr. Daria Sevastianova, associate professor of economics, presented, "The Global Economy - Why It Matters to You," at The Randall T. Shepard Leadership and Law Academy.
- Dr. Daria Sevastianova, associate professor of economics, a panelist at the Fall of the Wall 30th anniversary celebration
- Dr. Cathy Carey, dean, a keynote speaker at the Southwest Indiana Chamber’s 2019 Economic Outlook Luncheon.
- Dr. Cathy Carey, dean, presented "Importance of Census Data to the Community," Evansville Chamber of Commerce Board.
- Dr. Daria P. Sevastianova, associate professor of economics, will receive the USI Foundation Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award.
- Dr. Abbas Foroughi, professor of computer information systems and chair of management and information sciences; Dr. Mohammed Khayum, USI Interim Provost; and Dr. Jack Smothers, associate professor of management and MBA director, co-authored "Principle-Based MBA Course Design." Foroughi presented it at the 2018 DSI Annual Meeting in the Innovative Education and Teaching: Course Design and Assessment Session, in Chicago, IL.
- Dr. Sudesh Mujumdar a panelist at the 2018 Economics Outlook Luncheon
- Faculty appointment: Dr. Marie Bussing, assistant professor of economics, was appointed to the Federal Reserve Educational Advisory Board, Louisville Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Faculty presentation: Dr. Daria Sevastianova, associate professor of economics. Sevastianova was guest lecturer and presented Trade Wars and Tariffs to USI engineering majors. She was also the keynote speaker at Camp Economics in Santa Claus, Indiana, where she presented Trade War: What Is It Good For?
- Faculty presentation: Dr. Mary Ann Shifflet, assistant professor of economics. She presented a paper titled, "Improving Quality Improvement in Public Health" at the 12th International Conference on Health Care Systems at Harlaxton College in Grantham, England.
- Faculty achievement: Dr. Perry Burnett, associate professor of economics. Burnett's article, Overpopulation, Optimal City Size and the Efficiency of Urban Sprawl, was one of Review of Urban & Regional Development Studies most frequently downloaded articles in the 12 months after online publication.
- Professors Mahoney and Mujumdar talk with 44 News about the recent stock market drop
- Dr. Sudesh Mujumdar talks about President Trump's State of the Union address on Eyewitness News
- Federal Reserve specialist visits Dr. Marie Bussing's economics classes
- Faculty members receive Dean's Awards: Dr. Daria Sevastianova, Excellence in Service; Dr. Perry Burnett, Excellence in Teaching; and Dr. Cristina Gilstrap, Excellence in Research.
- Faculty presentation: Dr. Daria Sevastianova. Sevastianova presented "Introduction to Globalization" to engineering students. Her perspectives reinforce the importance of cross-disciplinary collaboration and the connections between business and engineering.