Use the sample resumes below to make the first draft of your resume. Then schedule an appointment with a USI Career Coordinator for additional resume development assistance.
Action Verbs - Use these verbs to explain experience on your resume
Applicant Tracking Systems: A Guide for Job Seekers
Job Scan - See how your resume looks to an Applicant Tracking System
SkillSyncer - free resume keyword scanner and job application tracker
Regardless of major, feel free to use any formats shown in the examples below. Use this generic resume to get started and fill in your information over top of the existing text.
A CV is used when applying for a position in an academic, medical or scientific field. A CV is a longer document that includes all your certifications, publications and relevant experiences.
- Education 1
- Education 2
CandidCareer is a video series that will help you develop the skills needed to succeed in your job search and career. Provided at no charge to students courtesy of USI Career Services and University Division.
- Your resume is an employer's first impression of you. A good one can open the door for many job and internship opportunities.
- Your resume is an ongoing project, and you should update it each semester to keep it relevant.
- The best practice is to have your resume reviewed a minimum of three times before submitting it to an employer. We recommend working with Career Services first to develop the basic layout and content. Then ask a faculty member to review for industry terms and specifics. Followed by a final review by Career Services to check for spelling and formatting errors.
- Career Services can help you target your resume to specific job descriptions and applicant tracking software.
- Many large companies and a growing number of small and medium companies filter resumes through specialized software before an HR employee looks at them. If your resume is not compatible with the software, it may never make it through the first screening process. See if your resume is optimized for an Applicant Tracking System (ATS) with the following resources.