Charter of the Council of Department Chairs and Program Directors
I. Objectives and Functions
A. The Council of Department Chairs/Program Directors at the University of Southern Indiana shall serve as a channel of communications for USI department chairs/program directors to support the development of the department chairs and program directors across disciplines.
B. The Council shall serve as the representative agency of the department chairs/program directors in matters of faculty affairs, which could include advising and making recommendations to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs and to the Faculty Senate.
C. The Chair of the Council shall be available to advise the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, and be available to advise the Chair of the Faculty Senate, at regular intervals during the academic year.
II. Organization and Relationships
1. Council is reserved to faculty holding three of the four following responsibilities:
a. Faculty evaluations
b. Course scheduling and Full Time Enrollment (FTE) allocation
c. Fiscal agent and/or budgeting responsibilities
d. Curriculum development and assessment
2. Deans, by virtue of their positions, are prohibited from serving as members of the Council.
3. Individuals holding any responsibilities associated with a Dean’s Office will not be able to hold a Council officer position. Anyone holding positions with dual responsibilities may appoint a representative to the Council for the department or program.
4. Ex-officio, non-voting representatives to the Council will include:
a. Director of the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
b. Director of the Honors Program
c. Director of the Office of Planning, Research, and Assessment
d. Director of the University Core Curriculum
e. Chair of the Faculty Senate
f. Assistant/Associate Provost of Academic Affairs
g. Director of Graduate Studies
h. Director of University Division
5. If an “ex-officio” representative to the Council holds three of the four responsibilities provided in “Section A.1.” (above), then he/she is considered to be a voting member of the Council.
6. If necessary, a Council member may designate a representative to vote in his or her absence. If a Council member does make such a designation, then the Council Secretary should be notified of the designation prior to the meeting date.
B. The Council shall have a Chairperson, a Vice-Chair, and a Secretary who shall be nominated and elected by the Council for a two-year term. As stated in “Section A.3.” (above), individuals holding any responsibilities associated with a Dean’s Office will not be able to hold a Council officer position.
C. The Chairperson, Vice-Chair, and Secretary of the Council shall meet prior to each Council meeting to set and publish the agenda. The agenda and minutes of the previous meeting shall be distributed to the Council at least one week prior to the meeting.
D. In the case of a permanent vacancy for any cause in the Chairperson’s position, the Vice-Chair of the Council shall serve in that capacity until a replacement for the unexpired term of the Chairperson has been duly elected by the Council.
E. The Council may, on a periodic basis, need to establish ad-hoc committees. The authority to set up those committees, and to select their chairpersons, shall be vested in the Council Chairperson.
A. The Council shall meet at least twice per semester.
B. Ten members of the Council at any Council Meeting shall constitute a quorum of the Council.
C. An act approved by a majority of Council members (or designated representatives) in attendance at any Council Meeting where a quorum is present shall be considered an act of this Council.
D. This Charter may be amended at any Council Meeting where a quorum exists by a two-thirds vote of Council members (or designated representatives) in attendance.
E. The Council shall operate under the most current edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (Cambridge, Mass.: Perseus Publishing).
The above Updated Charter of the Council of Department Chairs and Program Directors at the University of Southern Indiana was approved by a vote at the Council meeting on Feb 27, 2013.