USI logo
University of Southern Indiana
USI Home
google search

                                             COLLEGE ACHIEVEMENT PROGRAM

Transferability of Credits

Before enrolling in the College Achievement Program, it is the student's responsibility to contact the institution to which he or she is seeking admission to determine transferability of CAP credits. The decision to recognize credits is the prerogative of the receiving institution.

CAP Home
Program Overview
How CAP is Different From A.P.
Student Enrollment Criteria
Potential Instructors
Participating High Schools
Current CAP Instructors
Courses Offered
Academic Honors Requirements
Transferability of Credits
Once a CAP Course Has Ended
Parent & Former Student Perspective
Contact Us

Transfer of college credit is determined by the college or university
to which a student is seeking admission. Each college/university
evaluates transfer courses based upon their specific curriculum
requirements and the student’s intended major. From time to time
curriculum requirements change, which means the acceptance of
transfer courses may change. A student wanting to transfer credit
to a specific college or university should check directly with that
institution (registrar’s office, office of admissions, or academic
school of a student’s intended major) to determine if a course
will be accepted and how it will be counted toward graduation
requirements. Credits earned through the College Achievement
Program are USI courses and will be waiting for students when
they arrive at USI's campus. Even so, before enrolling in a CAP
course, students should still consult the University web site
for particular requirements of their prospective major and
to determine how a CAP course will meet general
education requirements.

Credit Use at the University of Southern Indiana

USI is changing its general education requirements, historically known as the University Core Curriculum, or just the Core; the new requirements go into effect for freshmen entering USI in the fall semester of 2014. All prospective CAP students should familiarize themselves with this important information by clicking here.

If you know your major, also check out the major program restrictions, as some majors specify exactly which courses students should take to meet the core requirements for graduation.

Credit Transfer to Public Institutions in Indiana

Public schools within the state of Indiana have established a Core Transfer Library (CTL). Each course included in the list will transfer to any public college or university in Indiana if an equivalent course exists and if the student has earned an adequate grade in the course. According to the Transfer IN web site, “
All Core Transfer Library courses will meet the general education or free elective requirements of undergraduate degree programs, and a significant majority of CTL courses will also count as one-on-one equivalents to courses taught at your new campus .” For more information about the CTL and how the CAP courses below transfer to schools around the state, visit the site for Transfer Indiana. To learn which schools offer CAP courses, see participating high schools.

*CAP Courses not included in the CTL may still transfer to public institutions in Indiana. Check with your college of choice prior to enrolling in CAP. 

Credit Transfer to Private Schools & Schools Out of State

Public schools out of state generally accept dual credit transfers, as do some private schools. The Indiana Core Transfer Library has an online site available to see how USI courses are accepted at Indiana private schools, to access this site, click here.

The registrar's office, admission office, or prospective academic school will be able to verify how credits from a CAP course will be accepted and counted toward graduation requirements.

When contacting a college or university to determine how CAP credit will transfer, be sure to have the following information ready:

    1. The name and number of the CAP course (e.g. ENG 101 Rhetoric and Composition)
    2. The course description (available on each school's page by clicking each course offered)
    3. The number of credit hours

Be prepared to ask the following:

    1. Will the course fulfill a graduation requirement or be accepted for elective credit?
    2. Is a minimum grade required for the course to transfer?
    3. Will you send written confirmation of what was agreed to in this conversation?

How Some Colleges and Universities Have Accepted Dual Credit in the Past

The following four lists were compiled from the reports of former concurrent enrollment students at USI, Indiana University, and Syracuse University. The lists represent four general kinds of transfer:

    1. Transfer accepted
    2. Conditional transfers
    3. Transfer with additional requirements
    4. Transfer not accepted

Students are advised to take a portfolio of their work (including a course syllabus, graded papers, tests, and the course completed letter) to new student orientation in order to demonstrate the college work in the course and to gain the transfer credit. Students should go to the subject area department (mathematics, English, history, etc.) and show the portfolio to the freshman adviser in the academic department.  Persistence on the part of students often meets with a successful transfer of credit. Students should not carry a USI transcript. Colleges and universities usually insist on receiving a transcript directly from USI. 


USI Home | Academics | Calendar | Athletics | Visitors | Events and News | Administration

8600 University Boulevard - Evansville, IN 47712-3596 - 812/464-8600

Copyright © 2014 University of Southern Indiana. All rights reserved.