Follow the three-step process to apply for financial aid.
- The FAFSA is used to determine eligibility for federal, state, and University financial aid programs including the Direct (Student) Loan and Direct (Parent) PLUS Loan.
- The FAFSA is filed online at fafsa.gov.
- Transfer your tax information directly from the IRS to the FAFSA, using the IRS Data Retrieval Process on FAFSA on the Web.
- File the FAFSA by April 15 at the latest to maximize your eligibility. April 15 is the state of Indiana's deadline for state-funded programs such as the 21st Century Scholar Award and other awards.
- Add USI's School Code of 001808 to your FAFSA.
- Check your myUSI to see what requirements are still needed. Instructions are available to help you navigate myUSI to view your financial aid package and requirements.
- Be sure to use the IRS Data Retrieval Process when filing and/or correcting your FAFSA. Using this process is likely to reduce the amount of additional documentation needed and will speed up the financial aid process!
- A minimum of 30 percent of students are selected for verification by the government; these students will be required to turn in additional documentation.
- All unsatisfied requirements must be met in order for USI to review, process, and disburse (pay) awards.
- Processing takes several weeks during peak periods of the year such as July and August so don’t wait to turn in your documents.
- The Direct Loan will be packaged to eligible students upon receipt of the FAFSA.
- First time Direct Loan borrowers must complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note. First time Direct (Parent) PLUS borrowers must complete a Master Promissory Note. All are completed online at StudentAid.gov.
- Students must be enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours for undergraduates) and be in good standing with USI's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy to be eligible to receive the Direct Loan and/or Direct PLUS Loan.
- Academic year loans apply to August – May and require two disbursements, one in fall and one in spring.
- Summer Direct Loans require a separate request form available late spring semester.
- Parents who are interested in a Direct Parent PLUS Loan may apply online at StudentAid.gov or they may download and print the Parent PLUS Loan Application at www.usi.edu/financial-aid/forms after July 1.