*Do NOT submit copies of Federal Tax Returns (1040, 1040Z or 1040EZ) to complete verification for the 2018-2019 award year. The Department of Education will NOT permit us to use them.
IRS Data Retrieval Tool on FAFSA on the Web (Use this option to streamline and expedite the processing of your financial aid application.)
Log in to your current FAFSA. In the finances section of the online form, you will answer a series of questions to see if you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. If you are eligible, you will see a "Link to IRS" button. Click the "Link to IRS" button and log in with your FSA ID to be transferred to the IRS to retrieve your information. Once complete, click “submit.” If the IRS is able to validate your information, the “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA” box will appear. Check the “Transfer My Information into the FAFSA” box and click the “Transfer Now” button. Don't forget to sign and submit your FAFSA when you are finished.
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool cannot be used in the following circumstances:
- Students/Parents who are married and filed separate federal tax returns
- Submit a 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcript for parent and spouse (if dependent) or student and spouse (if independent).
- Students/Parents whose marital status changed after filing the 2016 federal tax return
- If separated, divorced or widowed, submit a 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcript AND copies of all 2016 W-2(s) and 2015 1099(s) for each spouse.
- If married, submit a 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcript for parent and spouse or student and spouse.
- Students/Parents who filed an amended federal tax return
- Submit a copy of the 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcript AND a signed copy of the 2016 1040X
- Students/Parents who did not and will not file a Federal Tax Return
- Submit copies of all 2016 W-2s.
- Independent students and parents of dependent students are required to submit Verification of Non-Filing from the IRS dated on or after October 1, 2017 that indicates a 2016 IRS income tax return was not filed with the IRS.
- Dependent students may be required to submit Verification of Non-Filing from the IRS if conflicting information exists.
- Students/Parents who filed a foreign tax return
- Submit a signed copy of the 2016 foreign tax return.
- Contact the Student Financial Assistance Office for further guidance.
- Students/Parents who were victims of tax administration identity theft
- A victim of tax administration identity theft must contact the IRS at 1-800-908-4490. Upon authentication of the tax filer’s identity, the IRS will provide the Tax Return DataBase View (TRDBV) transcript. You must submit a copy of the TRDBV and a statement signed and dated by the tax filer indicating that he or she was a victim of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS has been made aware of the tax-related identity theft.
- Students/Parents who were granted a filing extension (beyond the October 15 extension deadline) by the IRS
- Contact the Student Financial Assistance for further guidance.
IRS Tax Return Transcript
Applicants who are selected for verification and do not or cannot use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool will be required to submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript (obtained directly from the IRS). It is important to request the IRS Tax Return Transcript not the IRS Tax Account Transcript. The Account Transcript does not contain all of the necessary information.
Generally it takes two to three weeks for the IRS Tax Return Transcript to be available, and eight to eleven weeks for paper IRS tax return filers.
- To request the IRS Tax Return Transcript visit the IRS website. Pay attention to the year you are requesting. The 2018-2019 FAFSA uses 2016 tax information so you will need to request the 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcript.
*NEW* - Independent students/spouse's and parents who are non-filers are required to submit Verification of Non-Filing from the IRS dated on or after October 1, 2017. For dependent students who are non-filers, Verification of Non-Filing is only required when conflicting information exists.
The Verification of Non-Filing Letter is proof from the IRS that you did not file a return. This documentation may be requested by sending a completed IRS 4506-T to the IRS. The 4506-T may be downloaded and printed online at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf.
Write the student's name and USI student ID number on the top of all tax documents submitted to the Student Financial Assistance Office.