University of Southern Indiana

Worker's Compensation

Employees of the University, including student workers, are covered by worker's compensation for injuries incurred while engaged in regularly assigned duties. Claims are processed in accordance with the State of Indiana Worker's Compensation Statutes. Benefits received for injuries depend on the nature of the injury, the duration and extent of disability, and medical and surgical expenses.

All accidents must be reported to Public Safety at 812-492-7777 and to the injured employee's immediate supervisor within 24 hours. An Injury/Illness Report Form should be completed by the injured employee, and/or the supervisor and forwarded to the Human Resources Department.

Medical Care for Injuries
The University Health Center, located on the lower level of the Health Professions Center, is the primary Worker's Compensation medical facility for the University. If more than first aid is required, the employee should be sent between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to the University Health Center. If an employee needs treatment during the hours in which the University Health Center is closed, the employee should be referred to Deaconess Comp Center, 329 W. Columbia Street, Evansville, IN 47710 (located across the street from Deaconess Emergency Room). Their phone number is 812-450-7455. However, if the injury or illness is such that hospital treatment is needed immediately, or during hours in which the University Health Center and Deaconess Comp Center are closed, the employee should be sent to Deaconess Hospital, 600 Mary Street. (If an employee receives treatment from any place other than the authorized facilities, the University of Southern Indiana may not be responsible for the charges.) All worker's compensation invoices should be forwarded to a Benefit representative in Human Resources.

After the worker's compensation claim has been reviewed by the insurance carrier, payment of the medical bills and temporary total disability compensation may be granted. Human Resources or the insurance carrier will advise the employee of the case status. The employee may elect to use available sick, compensatory or vacation time. After the initial seven days, worker’s compensation pay, which is equivalent to two-thirds of full pay, will begin. The department supervisor is required to advise Human Resources when an injured employee under worker's compensation returns to work, the number of lost work days, and any restricted work activity. Prior to returning to work, a signed physician’s release form should be forwarded to Human Resources.

Contact Web Services


Send Email to