Eligible employees and official USI retirees receive a full waiver of fees for undergraduate and graduate courses, some restrictions apply per Fee Waiver Policy. Spouses and dependents of employees receive a waiver of 75% of student fees for undergraduate and graduate courses, some restrictions apply per Fee Waiver Policy.
For more details and information on certain lab and miscellaneous fees are outlined in the University Handbook, Section C.11.
Eligible employees and official USI retirees also may receive a waiver of fees for noncredit courses held on campus through Outreach and Engagement. (Details)
Undergraduate- and graduate-level tuition fee waivers are automatically applied, per the fee waiver policy, for eligible employees and dependents listed with HR. Employees do not need to submit an enrollment form each term enrolled.
What do I need to do to ensure fee waivers process correctly for dependents?
In order for fee waivers to process automatically, HR needs to know your dependent’s information. You will need to ensure your dependent is listed in the BANNER system. If your dependent is on one of your insurance plans, then they will be in BANNER. If you are unsure, please reach out to a Human Resources representative at email@example.com.
What if the fee waivers do not process correctly?
There are many factors that cause fee waivers to be denied, be sure to check these common issues:
- For employees, ensure that no more than 15 credit hours per academic year have been attempted
- For employees, ensure that no more than six credit hours per semester (Fall and Spring); and/or no more than four credit hours per summer term or a maximum of 12 summer credit hours have been attempted
- For dependents, ensure no more than 124 credit hours have been attempted
- For dependents, ensure that your dependents are listed with Human Resources
- For children, ensure they are under 24 years of age and are an eligible dependent
What about non-credit courses?
The process will remain the same for non-credit courses. Apply online for fee waivers for non-credit courses.
Why is this change happening?
The automation process will allow Human Resources to process forms timelier and ensure that policy guidelines are being enforced consistently.
What if I have questions?
For questions regarding fee waiver policy, please reach out to a Human Resources representative at firstname.lastname@example.org. Take the time to review the Fee Waiver Policy in the University Handbook, Section C.11.