Mission and Goals
The Intensive English Program at the University of Southern Indiana strives to provide quality English language instruction and cultural, social, and academic orientation to the United States for non-native students. We help our students to be successful in a university academic program and/or to achieve professional and personal language goals. We support the students' integration into the general university culture while respecting their own culture, traditions, and values.
As part of the Center for International Programs, the IEP works to enhance the international dimensions of the University and to connect international students to the campus and local communities.
Goals for the Students
- To prepare international students both in terms of English language and study skills to be successful in their academic studies at USI or to use the English language professionally or in social contexts.
- To provide ongoing support to international students via various services.
- To connect international students with other students at USI and the community to immerse them with the American culture.
Goals for the Faculty
- To engage faculty members with the highest level of professional conduct, teaching skills and experience in teaching IEP students.
- To support and engage faculty members in continuous professional development as well as the development and improvement of the IEP program.
Long Term Goals for the Program
- To sustain the program's accreditation with the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA).
- To continue building and promoting the program's name and quality reputation through participation in professional associations and activities as well as recruitment efforts.
- To continue serving as an English language proficiency testing center for the TOEFL test.
- To develop special short term language projects and bring groups from international professional institutions to campus for English language skills development and Teacher Training.
- To enhance community outreach with local companies, institutions, attend local fairs, etc.
- To become a member of the UCIEP.