Center for International Programs
Steps to Study Abroad
View, download or print this guide to studying abroad for a quick but comprehensive overview of the study abroad process.
Before You Apply
- What to consider when choosing a study abroad program? Choosing a study abroad program that will be the right fit can be difficult. While you are researching the opportunities, keep in mind some of these questions.
- Attend a Study Abroad Information Session to Learn More! Attending a study abroad information session will help you get started in planning a study abroad experience. Information sessions are designed to help you narrow down your choices according to courses offered, timeframe, finances and interest. After attending an information session, you will have an opportunity to set up a meeting with a study abroad advisor to discuss your plans further.
- Approved Program Descriptions: USI offers study abroad opportunities in over 100 institutions in more than 60 countries through our approved programs. Find out what are the advantages of studying abroad through an approved program. Learn what makes each approved program unique.
- Research Funding Options: USI is working hard to make study abroad affordable through a variety of scholarships. Other funding options are offered through program providers and other organizations promoting international education.
You've Chosen a Program. Now what?
- Make an appointment with a Study Abroad Advisor: After you have attended an information session and narrowed down your program choices, schedule a meeting with a study abroad advisor to discuss your next steps.
- Make an appointment with your Academic Advisor to discuss course offerings and overall academic schedule. If you do not know who your advisor is, log in to myUSI, click the Self Service icon, then Student, Student Records, View Student Information, then select the current term and click OK. Your advisor's name should appear on that page under Primary Advisor.
- Make an appointment with Student Financial Assistance to determine how your current financial assistance will apply towards program costs. To set up an appointment call 812-464-1767.
- Throughout the process, discuss plans with parents and other important people in your life.