Graphic Design Emphasis
Art majors with graphic design emphasis will earn either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree at the University of Southern Indiana. At USI, the difference between the two degrees lies within the University Core 39 Curriculum. A minor in graphic design is also available.
Find class descriptions and major/minor requirements on the University Bulletin.
The graphic design emphasis develops creative individuals who think conceptually and critically. It provides students with the technical skills to produce effective visual communication. Students learn to use industry-standard software and technologies to design logos, visual identity systems, promotional materials (such as posters, flyers, and brochures), multi-page publications (such as books, newsletters, and magazines), and more for print or digital media.
- collaborate with programmers, content developers, and other creatives through inter-disciplinary projects and programs
- Intern with industry partners such as Berry Plastics, Tucker Publishing, and local media groups.
- Network through Evansville Design Group (founded by USI design professors).
- Network with alumni in charge of local design businesses and organizations.
- Get paid for design work for various USI departments.
- Art Director
- Graphic Designer
- App Designer or Developer
- Game Designer
- Graphic Novelist
- Special Effects Artist or Designer
- Web Designer
USI graphic design alumni include:
- Shawn Collins, Founder and CEO at the EXTEND GROUP
- DeWayne Esson, Brand Innovation Lead, DHG Healthcare, Dixon Hughes Goodman
- Bryan Horstman, Art Director at Gray Loon Marketing Group, Inc.
- Hannah Jay, Art Director at Tucker Publishing Group
- Kyle Kress, Software Engineer at Entangled Media
- Zachary Moore, Senior Graphic Designer at Berry Plastics
- Daniel Osborne, Art Director and Graphic Designer, Oswald Communications
- Brad Reinhart, Founder 67 Studios
- Amanda Schmitt, Associate Director of Design and Marketing at CP Handheld
- Kristina Arwood, Marketing Coordinator for the USI College of Liberal Arts
- Brian Scroggins, Creative Director, Kitch and Schrieber
- Leyna Seaton, Graphic Designer at Berry Plastics
- Jennifer Stilwell, Associate Product Manager, Foodservice at Berry Plastics
- Melissa Sybert, Production Artist at Berry Plastics
- Heather Vaught, Owner at Steadfast Media
- Paul Van Hoy, Owner Fotoimpressions, Author at Amerst Media
- Jessica Simpson, Graphic Designer, Owensboro Messenger Inquirer
- Hannah Jay, Digital Media Sales, Evansville Courier & Press
- Matt Koewler, Visualization Specialist & Graphic Designer, Hafer & Associates