Departmental Learning Outcomes
Department of English Mission and Goals
"Through the study of literature and writing, the Department of English prepares students to communicate effectively, think imaginatively, and live wisely in a diverse world."
- Develop close- and critical-reading skills through discussion as well as formal and informal writing about a variety of texts.
- Develop skills in critical reading and analysis through the application of theoretical approaches to a variety of texts.
Cultural and Historical Awareness/Diversity
- Understand the major socio-historical contexts informing the study of American/British literature.
Disciplinary Skills and Practice
- Understand the distinctions between major literary genres.
- Understand, at the introductory level, significant theoretical orientations that inform ways of reading texts.
- Develop an understanding of the range of disciplines included in English studies.
- Understand the terminology of American/British literature through major periods and literary movements.
Applications of Knowledge and Skills
- Develop as emerging professionals with skills and habits of mind that will help them achieve success in further study in the discipline and the diverse professions they will pursue.
- Become multi-dimensional readers, thinkers, and writers.
- Develop civic-mindedness and a desire to influence and transform their communities and the world.