University of Southern Indiana

Transferability of Credits

Before enrolling in the College Achievement Program, it is the student's responsibility to contact the institution to which he or she is seeking admission to determine transferability of CAP credits. The decision to recognize credits is the decision of the receiving institution. A video demonstrating how to look up transferability is available for CAP families. 

A student wanting to transfer credit to a specific college or university should check directly with that institution (registrar's office, office of admissions, or academic program of intended major) to determine if a course will be accepted and counted toward graduation.

Credits earned through the College Achievement Program are USI courses and will be waiting for students with they arrive at USI's campus. Even so, before enrolling students should still consult the University web site for particular requirements of their potential major to determine how CAP credits will meet requirements. Click to go to USI's Core 39 requirements.  If you know your intended major, also check out the major program requirements, as some majors specify which courses should be taken to meet core requirements.

Credit Transfer to Public Institutions in Indiana

Public schools within the state of Indiana have established a Core Transfer Library (CTL). Each course included in the list will transfer to any public college or university in Indiana if an equivalent course exists and if the student has earned an adequate grade in the course. Click here for more information about the CTL and how CAP courses transfer around the state. Check out which schools offer CAP courses here.

*CAP courses not included in the CTL may still transfer to public institutions in Indiana. Check with your college of choice prior to enrolling.

How to use the Core Transfer Library

1. Log on to
2. Hover over 'Earned Credits' and select 'Core Transfer Library'
3. Click 'Search the Core Transfer Library Now' button
4. Select 'Filter by School' and select the alphabetical tier that your prospective school(s) are in.
5. Find the CTL name (if you need the CTL name, reference the CAP course listing) for your USI course on the list and review what the course transfers into the school as by finding the school course number and course title on the same row (be sure to make sure your row headers are visible).

Different institutions give their courses unique names. The CTL assigns courses a generic name to cover the variety of course names throughout the state.

All of the courses shown for a CTL course name are equivalent courses at the respective institution. For example, under the CTL course name, American History 1, you can see that USI's HIST 101 is equal to IU Bloomington's HIST-H105, American History 1.

Credit Transfer to Private Schools & Schools Out of State

Public schools out of state generally accept dual credit transfers, as do some private schools. The registrar's office, admission office, or prospective academic school will be able to verify how credits from a CAP course will be accepted and counted toward graduation requirements.

When contacting an institution to determine how CAP credit will transfer, be sure to have the following information ready:

  1. The name and number of the CAP course (e.g. ENG 101 Rhetoric & Composition)
  2. The course description (available here)
  3. The number of credit hours

Be prepared to ask the following:

  1. Will the course fulfill a graduation requirement or be accepted for elective credit?
  2. Is a minimum grade required for the course to transfer?
  3. Will you send written confirmation of what was agreed to in this conversation?

How Some Institutions Have Accepted Dual Credit in the Past

The following four lists were compiled from the reports of former dual credit students at USI, Indiana University, and Syracuse University. The lists represent four general kinds of transfer:

  1. Transfer accepted
  2. Conditional transfers
  3. Transfer with additional requirements
  4. Transfer not accepted

Students are advised to take a portfolio of their work (including a course syllabus, graded papers, tests and other beneficial information) to new student orientation in order to demonstrate the college work in the course and to gain the transfer credit. If transfer ability is in question, students should go to the subject area department (mathematics, English, etc.) and show the portfolio to the freshman advisor. Persistence on the part of students often meets with a successful transfer of credit. Students should not carry in a USI transcript, as most institutions require it to be sent directly from USI.

Contact Jaclyn Dumond


Send Email to