The Pott College of Science, Engineering, and Education Student Advisory Board Peer Mentoring program is designed to provide support and guidance to First Year Experience (FYE) LLC - STEM and LLC - Education students as they adjust to college life. Incoming freshman are paired with sophomores, juniors, and/or seniors from within the Pott College at the University of Southern Indiana. All mentees are provided the opportunity to meet regularly with their assigned Peer Mentor outside of the FYE course, and participate in a variety of programs and activities throughout their first academic year. The programs and activities are designed to foster peer relationships between the mentors and mentees to strengthen and sustain students in meeting their educational goals and in helping make the college experience exciting and fulfilling at the University of Southern Indiana.
The primary goal of the Peer Mentoring program is to provide an opportunity for new first year students to connect with an undergraduate members from Pott College of Science, Engineering, and Education to assist with academic transition from high school to college.
The following are goals of the mentoring program:
1. To provide new students with the information, support and encouragement they need to be successful within their respected major.
2. To foster an inclusive environment that is rewarding for mentors and mentees where they become active partners in shared learning experiences through programs, services, and relationships.
3. To advance knowledge about campus services.
4. To help establish career and educational goals.
5. To provide consistent, reliable sources of support and inspiration.
Expectations of the Mentor
Expectations of the Mentee
Qualifications of a Peer Mentor