Policies and Procedures
Academic Skills welcomes all students who are seeking assistance to achieve their educational goals. All USI students who have a focused academic task to complete may use the tutoring services provided.
When visiting Academic Skills, students should be aware of the following policies:
- Academic Skills is an interactive learning environment.
- Peer tutoring supplements, but does not replace, classroom instruction.
- Students are expected to be considerate of all students using Academic Skills. Any student who engages in disruptive behavior will be asked to leave.
- Students should use our media labs for academic tasks. Open labs around campus are available for checking email or surfing the Internet.
- No food or drink is permitted near the computers in Academic Skills or the Writers' Room.
- The Academic Skills Media Lab enforces the Academic Computing Labs Rules of Use.
- Students who visit the tutoring arena (ED 1111) or the Writers' Room (ED 1102) are required to sign in and sign out on our TutorTrac computer. (Please bring your student ID card if you don't know your ID number.) This system enables us to collect data on how many students we serve, how much time those students spend in our programs, what services students use the most and how many times students return for assistance.
- Students are welcome to request an individual report of their activity in Academic Skills. A photo ID is required to request and pick up the report.