General Placement Testing Information
Schedule Your USI Placement Test
- For those students who required testing to determine placements, tests are available in English, math, and reading.
- Tests need to be completed at least two weeks before the orientation session.
- A student ID number and photo ID are required to test.
- On-campus testing is available in ED 1111 by appointment Mondays through Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Central Time), unless the university is closed.
- Students unable to come to campus may take their tests online by using one of these options. Both options allow the student to test at home using their own computer and require a high-speed internet connection and a webcam. Contact Academic Skills for more information on either of these options.
- Virtual remote proctor. This option costs the student $25 and is available all day every day.
- USI Zoom proctor. This option has no fee and is available by appointment at limited times on Mondays-Thursdays.
- Allow 1 hour each for the English and math tests and 30 minutes for the reading test. However, the English test is the only timed test (50 minutes).
- Students with disabilities who are requesting special accommodations:
- Must provide Academic Skills with a letter from Disability Resources stating their approved accommodations.
- Must schedule an appointment with Academic Skills by calling 812/464-1743 at least two weeks prior to placement testing.
- Students who think they can improve their automatic placement in Math, English, and/or Reading can take the placement test to see if they can place higher. It would be a good idea for these students to study first before taking the placement test to maximize their chance to improve their placement.
- One retest will be allowed on the Math and/or Reading if the student still thinks they can do better. Students will be allowed one retest per subject and must wait a minimum of one week before the retest occurs. It is strongly recommended that students spend some time studying before taking the test again.
Contact Academic Skills at 812/464-1743 for more information.