You are strongly encouraged to make an appointment with an academic advisor to discuss:
- any questions you may have about the University Core Curriculum
- academic progress
- academic planning
- other advising related issues
As a student, you play an essential role in the academic advising process. It is your responsibility to monitor your academic progress and seek advising on a regular basis. Advisors can help you develop educational plans compatible with your career and life goals, and assist you in completing your chosen program quickly and successfully. To make the most of your advising sessions, you need to prepare for the sessions by taking the following steps:
- Set up an appointment with your advisor through University Division Advising (ED 1142, 812/465-1606) or your major department. It is a good idea to meet with an advisor every semester and to schedule your appointment early in the semester.
- Review your Degree Audit Report. Your Degree Audit Report explains your progress toward your degree. If you do not have a current copy of your report, you can access and print out this report through MyUSI.
- Write down any questions and concerns that you have about your Degree Audit Report and bring these questions and your report to your advising session.
- Review your USI Bulletin. The Bulletin explains all of the university and departmental requirements for all degrees.
- Bring: your Degree Audit Report, the USI Bulletin, your First Year Advising Handbook and your questions.
- Establish a target graduation date in consultation with your advisor.
- Work with your advisor to establish a program of study and an outline of the classes that you plan to take in the next 2 or 3 semesters.
- Ask any and all additional questions that you might have. Your advisor can help you best when you explain your academic/career goals and concerns.
- Keep notes from your advising meetings to remind you about what was discussed.
- Call us at 812/465-1606 with any questions you have.
- Take charge of your academic progress! Advising is an important tool, but you are ultimately responsible for your success.
University Division can help you achieve academic success!
Education Center Room 1142 812/465-1606 Univ_Div@usi.edu