The Eagle Hours program is an employee volunteer pilot program that encourages USI employees to engage in and support USI sponsored events. View the full proposal.
This program helps USI departments obtain sufficient volunteers for important initiatives such as Welcome Week, and it benefits the USI Community as a whole by engaging employees more fully in the University and its mission. Additionally, research shows that encouraging employee volunteerism during the workday has positive outcomes, including increased employee job satisfaction, retention and productivity.
Benefit-eligible employees are encouraged to volunteer 7.5 hours each fiscal year during their normal work shift, and to encourage and allow those they supervise to do the same. This program is intended to promote increased employee volunteerism and does not limit any individual from volunteering additional hours during the fiscal year. Approval of additional volunteer hours during one's workday (above 7.5 per fiscal year) is at the discretion of each employee's supervisor.
Volunteer hours during one's workday may be taken in increments or all at once. Employees are required to log their volunteer hours with Volunteer USI following their time of service.
The above-mentioned employee volunteer hours may be taken with pay during one's normal USI workday, with prior supervisor approval to be away from their job duties during that time.
- Identify a volunteer opportunity
- Request supervisor approval to be away from your workstation during that date/time
- Log your completed hours with Volunteer USI
- Be sure to check "yes" on the form where it asks "Did you volunteer during regular business hours?"
QUALIFYING OPPORTUNITIES INCLUDE (but are not limited to):
- Assessment Day (Fall and Spring)
- Alumni Association Events
- Varsity Club Events and more!
- Career Services and Internships Events
- Career Fairs and Networking Events
- Heritage Artisan Days
- USI Fall Festival Booths
- United Way Day of Caring
- Welcome Week Activities
- Housing Move-In
- Welcome Tents
- And more!