Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply to the Honors Program. Students are welcome from any major if they are prepared to invest extra effort to meet the challenge.
- SAT score of 1290 or higher on the Math and Critical Reading sections or ACT composite of 27 or higher, and
- High school grade-point average (GPA) of 3.25 or higher
Incoming freshmen who have slightly lower SAT scores, ACT scores, or high school GPAs also may apply. These candidates will be evaluated on their overall profile of qualifications, including standardized test scores, high school GPA, class rank, academic background, and extracurricular activities.
Transfer Students and Current USI Students
- Completion of a minimum of 15 credit hours at USI or elsewhere with a cumulative 3.25 GPA
To earn a University Honors Scholar diploma and complete the Honors Program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Take 7 classes for Honors credit (21 credits), including the following:
- One Honors Seminar Class, which can be the Honors section of UNIV 101 (UNIV101/.HS#), Honors 101 or 102 seminar class. Students may take up to two Honors siminar classes, and they can take any Honors seminar without having taken another, i.e. Honors 102 can be taken without having taken Honors 101 or the Honors section of UNIV 101. None of these classes are prerequisites for the others.
- One Honors Capstone contract must be added to a 300 or 400 level class in your major or minor. If your major is Biology, you must contract another 300 or 400 level class towards that major. Biology majors cannot add an Honors contract to their Biology synthesis class.
- Students must earn an A or B in an Honors class to receive Honors credit for that class.
- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.25.
- If a student's GPA falls below 3.25, he or she will be put on probation and have one semester to increase cumulative GPA to 3.25.
- If the student does not increase cumulative GPA to 3.25 after one semester of probation, he or she will be dismissed from the program.
- Honors Activity-Requirement: All Honors students will be required to attend at least three hours of Honors activities each semester. Please see Fall 2015 Calendar to see point opportunities.
Students will earn 3 Honors credits per class, regardless of how many University credits the class is worth.