Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply to the Honors Program. Students are welcome from any major if they are prepared to invest extra effort to meet the challenge.
- SAT score of 1200 or higher on the Math and Critical Reading sections or ACT composite of 27 or higher, and
- High school grade-point average (GPA) of 3.25 or higher
Incoming freshmen who have slightly lower SAT scores, ACT scores, or high school GPAs also may apply. These candidates will be evaluated on their overall profile of qualifications, including standardized test scores, high school GPA, class rank, academic background, and extracurricular activities.
Transfer Students and Current USI Students
- Completion of a minimum of 15 credit hours at USI or elsewhere with a cumulative 3.25 GPA
To earn a University Honors Scholar diploma and complete the Honors Program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Take 7 classes for Honors credit (21 credits), including the following:
- Honors 101 or 102 seminar class. Students can take both, and they can take Honors 102 without having taken Honors 101. One class is not a prerequisite for the other.
- The senior synthesis class, with an Honors ad hoc contract added. This is the capstone class in the major. Students completing a biology major must contract another 300 or 400 level class for the senior synthesis requirement. Biology majors cannot add an Honors contract to the biology synthesis class.
- Students must earn an A or B in an Honors class to receive Honors credit for that class.
- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.25.
- If a student's GPA falls below 3.25, he or she will be put on probation and have one semester to increase cumulative GPA to 3.25.
- If the student does not increase cumulative GPA to 3.25 after one semester of probation, he or she will be dismissed from the program.
Students will earn 3 Honors credits per class, regardless of how many University credits the class is worth.
Honors Student Council Members hold office hours in the Honors Student Lounge (OC 1070) from noon to 1 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
Orr Center 1070