Lexi Leak and Ethan Ault, members of Sigma Phi Omega, the honor society for students interested in gerontology, are helping promote the Indiana State Games – Fit & 50, to be held at USI beginning May 15, 2014.
USI’s Center for Healthy Aging and Wellness is seeking USI faculty, staff and students to volunteer for the upcoming Indiana State Games – Fit & 50, to be held on campus and local athletic venues beginning Thursday, May 15.
The Indiana State Games - Fit & 50 is the new name for what was previously called the Indiana Senior Games. SWIRCA & More, the local area agency on aging, is coordinating these competitive and recreational events for athletes age 50 and older. Participants from all across Indiana and other states are expected to attend, and some athletes may qualify to advance to the National Senior Games, to be held in Minnesota in 2015.
“We are very excited to be partnering with SWIRCA & More to host these games,” said Dr. Katie Ehlman, assistant professor of gerontology. “It will be inspirational to see all of the older adults participating in the sports they love. We are looking for people to help with a variety of tasks, including registration, timing, and just making our visitors feel welcome here at USI.”
Ehlman said at least one class of occupational therapy assistant students has volunteered to help with the badminton event and to assemble pickleball rackets, and there are many more opportunities for USI students, staff and faculty to participate. Those with a myUSI login can register to volunteer with this link: https://orgsync.com/56338/events/748307/occurrences/1524834
Below is a listing of the events to be held at USI and SWIRCA & More:
Athletic Events at USI - May 15-20:
- Tennis Singles - May 15, 8:30 a.m.-noon
- Tennis Doubles - May 16, 9:30-4 p.m.
- Horseshoes - May 16, 8:30 a.m.-noon
- Cycling - May 18, 7:30 am-4 p.m.
- Swimming - May 18, 2:30-6 p.m.
- Volleyball - May 18, 2:30 a.m.-7:30 pm
- Disc Golf - May 19, 7:30 a.m.-noon
- Pickleball Singles - May 19, 8:30 a.m.-noon
- Pickleball Doubles - May 19, 12:30-6 p.m.
- Badminton - May 20, 8:30 a.m.-noon
- Table Tennis - May 20, 12:30-3 p.m.
- Basketball 3-on-3 - May 20, 2:30-8 p.m.
Events at SWIRCA & More
- Shuffleboard Singles - May 15, 8:30 a.m.-noon
- Shuffleboard Doubles - May 15, 12:30-4 p.m.
- Corn Hole, Darts & 8-Ball Pool - May 22, 8:30 am-5 p.m.
Additional events will be held at Cambridge Golf Course, Central High School Track, Walther’s Golf & Fun, and Garvin Park. See http://www.indiana.fusesport.com for a complete schedule of events or contact Holly Schneider at SWIRCA & More, 812/492-7440 or email@example.com.
For more information about the USI Center for Healthy Aging and Wellness, contact Ehlman at 812/461-5332 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.