The Fresh Start program is designed to benefit former USI undergraduate students who are returning to the University after an extended absence and whose previous academic record was unsatisfactory (student was academically dismissed or on academic probation).
This program allows a readmitting student who wishes to complete an unfinished undergraduate degree a one-time opportunity to apply for a "Fresh Start."
Students will be accepted into the program if they meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- The student applies for the program at the time of readmission (acceptance into the program is irreversible);
- The student has not been enrolled for two or more years (minimum of 24 months);
- The student was academically dismissed or on academic probation at the end of the last term enrolled at USI;
- The student achieves a minimum 2.00 grade point average on the first 12 quality hours taken after readmission and remains in good standing status while completing the hours.
Acceptance to the Fresh Start program subjects a student to the following provisions:
- USI courses and grades received prior to the readmited term will be excluded from the cumulative GPA calculations.
- USI courses with grades of C or above will count as earned hours. All other credits will be forfeited.
- Grades from all coursework taken at USI will be used in calculating eligibility for honors and honor societies.
- A student must re-declare a major and complete all academic requirements and regulations in effect at the time of readmission.
- Prior to completion of a degree, a student must complete 30 additional hours at USI toward graduation after acceptance into the program.
- Fresh Start program status will be recorded on the student's academic record.
- Students do not qualify for financial aid while in the Fresh Start program.