Contact USI

Getting to know you: Dr. Del Doughty

July 26, 2022

A self-proclaimed introvert who wants to know-and be known-by everyone at USI, Dr. Del Doughty, newly appointed Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, realizes this is contradictory. But he's ready to push his boundaries at USI, and make everyday "the best day of his life." Who knows, after some time here, he may even consider himself an extrovert. 

Let's get to know more about Doughty and what he looks forward to the most during his time at USI.  

What's one thing most people don't know about you? 

I took some improv and comedy classes at The Second City and used to write political satire under a pseudonym. 

Do you collect anything?  

I have a fondness for vintage tools (bench planes and chisels) and instruments (mandolins). I realize how specific and random that sounds.   

If you could share a meal with four individuals, living or dead, who would you choose and why? 

My first thought was to say something like "Shakespeare" or "Dante," but then I realized that the combination as a whole is more important than any four individuals, and so I think I would like to have dinner with four of our Founding Fathers because I'd like to give them an update on their experiment in democracy to see what they have to say. 

What songs would be included on the soundtrack of your life? 

So many. I'd like to think the soundtrack would include things like Foo Fighters or '90s Dylan, but in truth, it would probably be a loop of the theme from "Curb Your Enthusiasm." 

Do you enjoy traveling? If so, what are a few places on your bucket list? 

I love traveling and have Florence and Sicily on my bucket list. However, if you put me on a series of long train trips to anywhere, that would suit me just fine. 

Do you have a quote or motto that you live by? If so, what is it? 

When people ask me how I'm doing, I always say, "Best day of my life." It may sound flippant, but it's actually a position that's grounded in the philosophy of William James.   

Would you say you are more of an introvert or an extrovert?  

Introvert for sure.  

If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what rule would you make?   

Lately, I've been thinking about Warren Buffett's rule, which goes like this: "Rule number one: Never lose money.  Rule number two: Never forget rule number one." I like the form of the rule as much as the content. It's at once clear, witty and serious. 

What motivates you? 

It so happens that I'm fresh off my first visit to New Harmony, and wow, my mind was blown! Those Harmonists built things of enduring beauty and wisdom. Meanwhile, what can I say of myself? That I just finished binge-watching "Better Call Saul?" C'mon, Del. Do better.  

What's one thing you're looking forward to here at USI? 

I want to know and be known by everyone. That's exciting. Okay, so maybe I'm not an introvert.