Contact USI

A determination to succeed

Graduating senior Turner Baehl's perseverance help him succeed despite adversity

December 16, 2022

Every USI student experience is different—and sometimes, that experience can be difficult at first. For Turner Baehl, an Evansville senior graduating this fall with a degree in accounting and professional services, his journey as a USI student took a different path than what he originally imagined.

“I went blind in my first semester of college in the fall of 2014. I just woke up one morning and noticed I couldn’t see very well. It just progressed from there,” he says.

Turner’s path wasn’t easy. He explains various frustrations he felt and dealt with as he learned more about his disability and how he had to adapt as a college student. He wasn’t sure how to ask for help or who to ask. “It took a lot of frustration on my end, to take the time to read the literature on what I can and cannot get, and educating myself on how to get the help,” he explains. “That was the hardest part of my college journey.”

After his second medical withdrawal, Mary Harper, the former Director of Student Financial Assistance, reached out to him, curious about Baehl’s difficulties and wanting to help him. This was a breaking point, he says, that opened the gates to a wealth of information for him.

“That’s what really helped give me the knowledge. She sat down and explained my options. She was instrumental. I would not have got a college degree without her help,” he says. “That was when I felt like I actually had support from the University.”

But once he knew how to ask for the help, Baehl felt more confident in expressing his needs to others, especially with the help of Dr. Laurie Berry, Assistant Dean of Students and Deputy Title IX Coordinator. He also was able to connect with USI’s Disabilities Resources Office and work with them to find more accessibility.

“I first met Turner back in 2014. He basically had gone from a student who had no vision issues to being visually impaired,” says Michele Barnett, Senior Administrative Assistant for Disability Resources.

Disability Resources helped Baehl, as it has helped other students and employees with disabilities, obtain accessible materials as well as helped him understand what he can ask of faculty as a disabled student. For Baehl, Disability Resources has been a part of his gaining enlarged texts and exams, having electronic class materials and more.

Though Disability Resources is an aid, Barnett is quick to point out Baehl’s success with his upcoming graduation is all due to his hard work and tenacity to continue to pursue his education at USI.

“He’s one of those students who has Plan A, B, C, D; if this happens, we’ll do this, or if this happens we will do this,” says Barnett.  

After a third medical withdrawal from the University in January 2022, to have a medical procedure on his left eye, Baehl was pushed to a Fall 2022 graduation. But it wasn’t something that deterred him. In fact, he was more prepared for the departure than any of his previous withdrawals, he says.

“It was actually the best interaction I’ve ever had with both the Dean of Students and Disability Resources offices. It was the most harmonious thing; they were like okay we have plan a, plan b, we got this covered,” Baehl says. “It was super cool to see that; I had never experienced that before.”

“I have to say, the Dean of Students Office has done a wonderful job working with Turner as well as all his instructors in the business program. I feel they have gone out of their way working with him during his last medical withdrawal,” says Barnett.

Though the frustrations can mount, she adds Baehl showed maturity and perseverance.

“Last year he said he was determined, and I told him to tell me what he needed, and we would figure it out. He has really been successful on his own. He’s done the work, he’s come up with ideas and he is a very good advocate for himself,” Barnett explains. “He figures out a way to be successful, and that’s the kind of person you want to be a representative of USI. Turner is a good role model for a lot of students.”

With graduation comes the opportunity for a new career. For Baehl, that comes in the form of a new job with Harding, Shymanski & Company, P.S.C. as a tax associate, which he begins in January.

“I’m really excited. When they learned of my disability, they were beyond accommodating on asking how to meet me halfway,” he says. “It was refreshing that they were so excited to work with me despite the limitations. They were willing to help enable me to be the best that I can.”

Baehl’s story is a great example of what USI students can accomplish, no matter their circumstances. He also serves as a reminder of the importance of communication with students and working with them to understand their unique journeys, frustrations, goals and achievements as we help them soar at USI and beyond.

“Once the professors learned and talked with me about my accommodations, my grades went from Ds and Cs to As and Bs instantly,” says Baehl. “Once they helped enable me, it was like my disability didn’t exist. If faculty can take the time to understand what the students are trying to get out of accommodation requests, it can change everything for that student.”