The Diversity Committee of the University of Southern Indiana was created in response to House Enrolled Act 1256, authorized by the 2007 Indiana General Assembly (IC-21-27-8-7) which requires that each public institution of higher education create a diversity committee to meet this legislative mandate. This committee is charged to:
- Review and recommend faculty employment policies.
- Review faculty and administration personnel complaints concerning diversity issues.
- Make recommendations to promote and maintain cultural diversity among faculty members.
- Make recommendations to promote recruitment and retention of minority students.
- Issue an annual report stating the findings, conclusions and recommendations of the committee to the board.
The University’s existing Affirmative Action Committee was adapted to meet the requirements of IC 21-27-8-7.
- Define the University’s vision of diversity and recommend methods to integrate that vision with existing University policies and procedures
- Collect information on University programs and initiatives and community resources
- Review University employment policies and processes and recommend improvements intended to increase hiring of diverse candidates
- Review University complaint policies and processes concerning diversity issues and recommend improvements
- Review University programs and processes, developing recommendations as appropriate for improvements to existing programs and processes and for new programs and initiatives that promote recruitment and retention of diverse students, faculty and staff
- Recommend methods that increase awareness of the University’s commitment to diversity
- Assess University diversity training and communication needs and make recommendations
- Develop methods to assess the University’s diversity efforts
- Provide Annual Reports to the University’s Board of Trustees
Board of Trustee Reports
*Adrianna Garcia - Student Government Association