Housing and Residence Life
Healthy Living Tips
Furniture Arrangements in Apartments (O'Daniel North, South and McDonald West)
- Do keep a minimum of 18" (inches) between all furniture and air conditioner units and/or vents. This will allow for proper air circulation and help prevent mildew and mold.
- Don't place the couch in front of the air conditioner as the couch cushions absorb moisture. For best results, place the end table by the air conditioner and then the chair. Place the couch against the other wall in the living room.
- Do keep mattresses below the vents in the bedrooms. Mattresses that are above the vents prevent good air circulation and absorb moisture.
Using the Air Conditioner in Apartments (O'Daniel North, South and McDonald West)
- Don't set the air conditioner to the lowest cool setting and allow to operate for extended periods of time. This will cause condensation to form on the walls around the unit promoting the growth of mildew and mold.
- Do clean your air conditioner filter monthly and wipe off any dirt or mildew that forms on the air conditioner unit.
Promoting a Healthy Environment in Apartments and Residence Halls
- Don't forget to use your bathroom exhaust fan while the shower is in use. Keep the exhaust fan on for 30 minutes after shower use to help remove moisture from the bathroom area.
- Don't leave piles of clothes or other personal belongings on the floor or under beds.
- Do take out the trash regularly.
- Don't forget to vacuum the carpet and clean the floors regularly. Clean floors will help prevent mildew and mold growth.