Healthy Living Tips
Furniture Arrangements in Apartments (O'Daniel North, South and McDonald West)
- Do keep a minimum of 18" (inches) between all furniture and air conditioner units and/or vents. This will allow for proper air circulation and help prevent mildew and mold.
- Don't place the couch in front of the air conditioner as the couch cushions absorb moisture. For best results, place the end table by the air conditioner and then the chair. Place the couch against the other wall in the living room.
Using the Air Conditioner in Apartments (O'Daniel North, South and McDonald West)
- Don't set the air conditioner to the lowest cool setting and allow to operate for extended periods of time. This will cause condensation to form on the walls around the unit promoting the growth of mildew and mold.
- Do clean your air conditioner filter monthly and wipe off any dirt or mildew that forms on the air conditioner unit.
Promoting a Healthy Environment in Apartments and Residence Halls
- Don't forget to use your bathroom exhaust fan while the shower is in use. Keep the exhaust fan on for 30 minutes after shower use to help remove moisture from the bathroom area.
- Don't leave piles of clothes or other personal belongings on the floor or under beds.
- Do take out the trash regularly.
- Don't forget to vacuum the carpet and clean the floors regularly. Clean floors will help prevent mildew and mold growth.
Clean Your Stove and Oven in Apartments
- An unclean stove and/or oven is a fire hazard.
- Even a little mess can cause smoke that sets off the fire alarm which will annoy your roommates and neighbors.
- The mess attracts bugs and angers roommates.
Stove and Oven Cleaning Tips
- Cleaning often reduces the amount of time and supplies needed for cleaning.
- Use store bought products or look up DIY ways to clean.
- Remove the oven racks for best access to clean both the oven and the racks.
- Set a goal to clean the oven and stove at least once a month!