The University of Southern Indiana set a record for graduate enrollment for the fifth consecutive year, with 1,766 students enrolled in masters and doctoral programs for the Fall 2020 Semester.
Graduate enrollment at USI rose 14.9% over Fall 2019 and has risen 21.9% over the past two years. The Master of Business Administration (MBA) Program, housed within the Romain College of Business, continues to fuel this growth; more than 1,000 students are currently pursuing their MBA at USI, either in a traditional program or in an accelerated, online-only program.
“The sustained growth we are seeing in professional programs with adult learners shows USI’s commitment to diversifying educational offerings that are both of high value and of academic excellence,” said Ronald S. Rochon, USI President. “That commitment extends to our students of all walks of life and, as we navigate a new reality shaped in part by COVID-19, we are eager to adapt that experience to benefit each student as an individual.”
In total, enrollment at the University of Southern Indiana for the Fall 2020 Semester is 10,204*. This combines graduate, undergraduate and dual credit students, including an estimated 1,699* dual credit students participating in USI’s College Achievement Program in 27 high schools across Indiana.
Joint graduate and undergraduate enrollment totaling 8,505 is down 2.1% compared to the Fall 2019 Semester. The Class of 2024 features 1,286 new first-time students with an incoming GPA (grade point average) of 3.48, a new record for USI, as well as 451 new transfer students. Overall undergraduate enrollment is 6,739.
“We have balanced the strong student desire for an on-campus learning experience with protecting the health and safety of our entire population through a blend of in-person, hybrid and online-only courses,” said Dr. Mohammed Khayum, Provost. “Although subject to change, physical distancing, face coverings and cleaning protocols are currently allowing approximately 64% of our classes to be offered either in-person or in a hybrid format.”
Students at USI represent 91 Indiana counties, 43 states and 48 countries. In-state students comprise 80% of the student body, with out-of-state and international students making up the remaining 20%. Minority and international students comprise a record 15.6% of the student population, despite a decrease in the population of international students attributed to travel restrictions in place due to the pandemic.
*Enrollment numbers for the College Achievement Program are estimated as a result of delayed reporting caused by the COVID-19 pandemic for some participating high schools.
Photo Credit: USI Photography and Multimedia