Skip to content
Contact USI

What is Reverse Transfer?

The process of allowing college students or former college students who have completed credits for an associate degree to receive that degree even if they have transferred to a different college or university, or stopped out of higher education altogether.

Benefits of Reverse Transfer

  • Earn your associate degree while pursuing your bachelor's degree
  • Possible career advancement with earned associate degree
  • Qualify for more jobs with higher pay
  • A degree can help you earn more money

Eligibility for Reverse Transfer

Each two-year institution has established their own minimum number of credits required for their former students to be eligible for a reverse transfer degree. The list below identifies institutions that currently have reverse transfer agreements with USI. Students are not eligible for the program if they currently possess an associate degree or higher or have earned more than 90 hours at USI.

Two-year institution Required credits from two-year institution
Henderson Community College 30
Ivy Tech Community College 15
Madisonville Community College 30
Owensboro Community & Technical College 15
Vincennes University 15

Reverse Transfer Transcripts

USI will work with students to help send transcripts to our partner two-year institutions in order to facilitate the reverse transfer process. Students who designate Henderson Community College, Madisonville Community College, or Owensboro Community & Technical College will have their transcripts sent once they have at least 60 combined credit hours. Students who designate Ivy Tech Community College or Vincennes University will have their transcripts sent once they have at least 75 combined credit hours. Transcripts will continue to be sent until the two-year school sends back an associate's degree-posted transcript, the student earns more than 90 hours at USI, the student earns a bachelor's degree, the student opts out, or the student is no longer attending classes at USI. 

How to get started

The Reverse Transfer process is designed to be a seamless and easy experience. You will need to give us permission to share your transcripts with your two-year college by filling out the USI Reverse Transfer Application. Colleges may have additional paperwork for you to complete to be eligible for your associate degree.

Reverse Transfer Application