Contact USI

Ambrose swims her way to excellence

November 10, 2022

Reitz High School graduate Jordan Ambrose ’24 is speeding up her game here at the University of Southern Indiana for the Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving team by competing as a ‘free styler’ in the 50- and 100-meter events. Ambrose has already established herself as a competitive athlete, but when USI announced the inaugural swimming and diving team, she was ready to take the competition a level higher. USI had been home for Ambrose during her freshman and sophomore years, but now adding student-athlete to her bio, she is gaining further experiences and opportunities in the classroom and in the pool.  

Making the first splash 

At a young age, Ambrose’s parents put her in a pool and let her swim. Every summer, her family would put up shop on the lake and boat all weekend. The frequent exposure to water prompted Ambrose to start competing in swimming and diving, joining her first swim team at the age of 8. “A story my mom always shares is when I was 2 years old, my parents were outside in early April uncovering the pool in our backyard getting it ready for the summer—the next thing they knew, I had jumped in by myself and just started swimming around,” she says.  

Ambrose competed through high school and had intentions to swim in college but did not want to move far away from home. She is an only child and very close to her family. However, entering her junior year at USI, she was presented with an opportunity that felt like fate. “I lucked out exceptionally when USI created its very own swim team—this meant I could swim and still stay close to home,” she says.  

Freestyling at USI  

When Ambrose arrived at USI in 2020, despite there being no team to compete on, she knew swimming competitively and staying active was a lifestyle she wanted to pursue. She started training for the Ironman, a competitive triathlon focused on swimming, biking and running. After completing her first Ironman last year, she recently found out that she placed first in her age group and qualified for the world championship, which took place in Hawaii in October of this year. Training for this took roughly 17 hours a week—on top of what she is already being required to do as a swimmer for the new USI team. “This has been one of the greatest achievements I have experienced in my life,” she says.  

Amid remarkable things she was already experiencing with the Ironman, things continued to look up as USI made its first announcement that a swimming and diving team would be added. “I went straight to Coach Kainer and told him I wanted to swim for him,” she says.  

She sat down with Coach Kainer as they discussed her history of outstanding accomplishments. “I didn’t have to tryout, but he did watch me at the open swims before I officially committed,” she says.  

Ambrose now competes as a freestyler in the 50- and 100-meter events, comparable to sprinting events in track and field. She studies exercise science with a focus in pre-physical therapy (PT). She trains almost twice a day every day between weightlifting and pool time. Academically, Ambrose finds breaks between classes and practices throughout the week to stay on top of her homework. Also, a requirement set by her coaches, she must complete four study hours weekly. “I would rather overbook myself on homework throughout the week where I have no free time so I can have all weekend to rest and regroup,” she says.  

The Dive to Division I 

Many doors have opened for Ambrose and her teammates since the introduction of the new swim and dive teams—she has had the opportunity to build many new friendships and connections at USI. Competing at the Division I level isn’t really about the spotlight and division itself. For Ambrose, it’s more about being part of a team. “I already hold myself to a high standard anyway. This just allows me to have that competition at a higher level to see how far I can reach and challenge myself,” she says.  

Because this is a newly constructed team, most of the student-athletes are first year students. The team consists of only three upperclassmen. Many may think this is an obstacle the team has to face, but really, it has allowed every student-athlete to learn and grow together, creating an early bond for the program. “Swim being a new team [at USI], I was nervous with how people might act towards me since I’m older than them—it turns out everyone is encouraging, supportive and constantly showing kindness,” she says.  

Ambrose and the two other upperclassmen student-athletes see themselves as mentors for the underclassman and make them feel welcome by helping them adjust to the college atmosphere. “This is the molding year of what USI Swimming and Diving is going to be in the future,” she says.  

Final Laps  

When Ambrose graduates from USI in Spring ’24, she plans to attend graduate school and earn a doctorate in PT with the end goal of becoming an athletic trainer or personal trainer. Until then, Ambrose will continue to strive for excellence in the classroom, in the pool and beyond what is expected of her.   

Five Fast Facts about Jordan:  

She is an only child. 

Jordan enjoys boating and riding side by sides. 

Her dad threw shotput at Purdue. 

She placed first in the Ironman Triathlon for her age group. 

Jordan competed for the Newburgh Sea Creatures Elite swim club. 

How to catch a Women's Swimming & Diving meet.

This article was written by University Strategic Communication Graduate Assistant, Shaila Dalrymple.