Services are available to all currently enrolled USI students. Students needing extensive or specialized services may be referred to community resources. USI employees may utilize the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
All services are supported by tuition and student fees, and students do not need to pay extra to access counseling services. However, students found responsible for certain violations of the Code of Student Behavior may be charged an additional administrative fee for a Substance Use Assessment.
Privacy / Confidentiality
We are committed to taking all reasonable steps to maintain your privacy. All communications, including your decision to even seek counseling, are kept confidential. We will not release information about you to anyone outside the Counseling Center without your written consent, except for certain exceptions that are required by law.
Exceptions to confidentiality include, but are not limited to the following:
- If we believe you are in imminent danger of self-harm.
- If there is reason to believe that child, elder, or dependent abuse has occurred.
- If you report being sexually assaulted and are under the age of 18.
- If you express threats of violence towards another person.
- If federal law enforcement officials request your information under the United States Patriot Act.
- Under court order, subpoena or as otherwise required by law.
Any required disclosure will be made to the appropriate authority and will be limited to material relevant to the issues involved. Additionally, should you be assessed to be a danger to yourself or others, or if hospitalization is pursued (either voluntarily or involuntarily), information about the situation will be disclosed to appropriate university personnel, your parents or guardians (as appropriate), and other essential third parties.
The Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) staff often work as a team. Your Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) staff member may consult with other members of theCounseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) staff in providing services to you.