Better Support Students With Exceptional Needs Through USI’s Graduate Certificate in Special Education Online Program
Build on your existing knowledge with relevant and accessible coursework focused on the specific skills required to support students with exceptional needs.
At the University of Southern Indiana, our SpEd certification in teaching learners with exceptional needs will provide you with the knowledge and skills — as well as the qualifications — to teach students with mild disabilities in grades P–12. Throughout your Graduate Certificate in Special Education online program, you’ll have opportunities to apply what you learn in practical, real-world settings to better help you connect concepts with classroom experience.
To make things easier for practicing teachers like you, we’ve made earning your SpEd certification in teaching learners with exceptional needs simple. Our 100% online program is taught by dedicated faculty and supported by extensive student services to ensure you have the help you need to meet your goals. Additionally, you can earn your certification when it’s convenient for you — we offer you the flexibility to fit your coursework around your busy schedule.
When you complete your graduate certificate and pass the required Indiana content licensure test, you may also be eligible for an additional license in P–12 Exceptional Needs: Mild Intervention.
Tuition & Fees Get Started!
How Will You Benefit From Our Graduate Certificate for Teacher License Addition in Exceptional Needs?
Unlike other Graduate Certificate in Special Education online programs, at USI we’re better equipped to help you provide the best care and instruction to every student — regardless of need. That’s because we connect academic concepts with opportunities for real-life experience, providing you with the right skills and knowledge to further your career in education.
You’ll be better prepared to ensure you can accommodate the exceptional needs of every student.
Upon completion, you'll be able to pursue careers such as:
“USI’s SpEd certification program provides not only a classroom experience but a real-world experience. The knowledge I gained from faculty and staff has allowed me to help my students academically…and become a better advocate for them.”
– Anna Haggard, USI Exceptional Needs Graduate Certificate
All applicants must have:
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited institution with a cumulative grade-point average of 2.75 or higher
- A valid Indiana teaching license
- Maintain a 2.75 or higher grade-point average at USI
- Earn a grade C or better in all required courses in the program
Note: At the conclusion of the program, appropriate content tests are required prior to applying for an add-on license.
- Submit an online application and $40 application fee.
- Upload the following to your application account:
- Your Indiana Teaching License number or provide an explanation as to why you wish to pursue this degree.
- A current resume/curriculum vitae. The file should be a PDF and use the following naming convention: First Name Last Name SPED resume.pdf (example: Joe Smith SPED resume.pdf)
- Submit transcripts to Graduate Studies.
- Official transcripts are required only from the institution at which your highest degree was earned. Electronic transcripts are preferred and can be emailed from the previous institution to Graduate.Studies@usi.edu
- Unofficial transcripts from other institutions attended can be submitted via email by the applicant to Graduate.Studies@usi.edu
- Applicants who wish to seek transfer credit for graduate coursework must submit an official transcript from the institution where that work was completed.
- Mailed transcripts can be sent to this address:
University of Southern Indiana
8600 University Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47712
- Read the full transcript policy by clicking here.
- International applicants may be required to submit additional information.
Courses are offered by blending desktop video conferencing and an online learning management system. Access to a reliable computer with internet, camera and microphone capabilities is required.
Program Curriculum for the Graduate Certificate for Teacher License Addition in Exceptional Needs
The Graduate Certificate for Teacher License Addition in Exceptional Needs is comprised of the following three (3) credit-hour courses:
- EDUC 508 - Teaching Foundational Reading Skills
- EDUC 511 - Foundations and Legal Issues Related to Exceptional Needs
- EDUC 512 - Assessing Students with Special Needs
- EDUC 513 - Learning Strategies for Students with Exceptional Needs
- EDUC 515 - Management and Exceptionality: Environmental, Social, and Behavioral
- EDUC 518 - Exceptional Needs Instructional Strategies II
- EDUC 523 - Collaborative Partnerships
- EDUC 521 - Exceptional Needs: Practicum I
Graduate Certificate in Special Education program delivery and schedule information
Our 100% online Graduate Certificate for Teacher License Addition in Exceptional Needs is both affordable and convenient, allowing you to earn your license on your own time. Take two classes online each semester, wherever you’re located, and move your career forward in three to four semesters.
Earn Your Graduate Certificate on Your Time
Our 100% online Graduate Certificate for Teacher License Addition in Exceptional Needs gives you the freedom to schedule your coursework around your availability. We have 3 starts a year, meaning you don't have to wait to begin your journey to completing your certificate.
|Course Start||Application Deadline||Document Deadline||Registration Deadline|
Get Started on Your SpEd Certification in Exceptional Needs.
Take the next step on your journey by pursuing USI’s Graduate Certificate in Special Education online program. Start your application or request more information today