Strengthen Your Skills with an Online Master of Public Administration Program.
The University of Southern Indiana’s online Master of Public Administration program builds on your existing knowledge to help you improve your management skills and become a leader in your field. You’ll master an understanding of the foundations and internal operations of public and nonprofit administration, learn how to gather and analyze data for research, and strengthen the practical skills you need to become an ethical, creative, and inspirational public administrator.
In addition to your coursework, USI's public administration master's degree online gives you ample opportunities to gain practical knowledge and professional skills through hands-on projects with community members. These real-life experiences prepare you to face the economic, social and political challenges of our time while making a real difference in your local community.
USI’s MPA certificate program is designed to meet the needs of current and future civic leaders and managers like you. Our 100% online Master of Public Administration program allows you to fit your courses in public administration into your busy life as a working professional, helping you achieve your goals on your schedule.
Our Nonprofit Excellence Symposium opens registration every September. Learn more by clicking here.
What Can You Do With a Public Administration Online Degree?
Earning your Public Administration Master’s degree online at the University of Southern Indiana can help you take the next step towards your chosen path—whether that's as a public administrator or another leadership role.
Our MPA certificate program gives you the right combination of skills and theoretical knowledge to open the door to a broad range of careers in public sector institutions and non-profit organizations, including:
"As a mid-career professional, the Master of Public Administration Program provided community service learning and comprehensive coursework that is not only applicable to my current position but also delivers what I need to advance my career."
- Susan Colaricci Sauls, USI MPA Graduate, 2016
Director of the University Art Collection, USI
Applicants seeking to be admitted to the Master of Public Administration program generally hold a bachelor’s degree (any major is acceptable) with at least a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale. Students with less than a 3.0 GPA may be admitted on a conditional basis upon review by the admissions committee. In some instances, students with less than a 3.0 GPA may be asked to provide additional information as part of their application.
- Submit an online application and $40 application fee.
- Upload the following to your application account.
- Personal information including a personal statement
- A copy of most recent resume or curriculum vitae
- Submit transcripts to Graduate Studies.
- Official transcripts are required only from the institution at which your highest degree was earned. Electronic transcripts are preferred and can be emailed from the previous institution to Graduate.Studies@usi.edu
- Unofficial transcripts from other institutions attended can be submitted via email by the applicant to Graduate.Studies@usi.edu
- Applicants who wish to seek transfer credit for graduate coursework must submit an official transcript from the institution where that work was completed.
- Mailed transcripts can be sent to this address:
University of Southern Indiana
8600 University Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47712
- Read the full transcript policy by clicking here.
- International applicants may be required to submit additional information.
The Master of Public Administration Program at the University of Southern Indiana strives to meet the needs of current and future civic leaders and managers by providing students with the practical knowledge and professional and academic skills, rooted in a strong understanding of the theories of public administration, to become ethical, creative, and inspirational leaders in the public and non-profit sectors. Our graduates are prepared to meet the economic, social, and political challenges that face leading public sector institutions and non-profit organizations.
- Obtain knowledge of the theoretical and institutional foundations and the internal operations of the public and nonprofit sectors and how these sectors are shaped by their economic, social, and political environments.
- Master an understanding of how key concepts and theories in the field of public administration can be used to formulate applied solutions to problems associated with public and nonprofit administration.
- Acquire practical skills necessary for the management of public and non-profit organizations, such as grant writing, budgeting, public speaking, human resources management, organizational behavior, electronic communication, and report writing.
- Learn how to gather and analyze qualitative and quantitative data (through data bases, web sites, printed material, and other information-based resources) and develop research skills that can be used to advance the knowledge and practice of public administration.
- Understand the ethical consequences of decisions made by managers and administrators in the public and nonprofit sectors.
Courses are offered by blending desktop video conferencing and an online learning management system. Access to a reliable computer with internet, camera and microphone capabilities is required.
The Nonprofit Excellence Symposium brings together professionals from local businesses and nonprofits for a half-day of workshops, presentations, idea sharing, and networking open to USI students and anyone who works in or is interested in the nonprofit sector.
Click below to learn more.
Earn Credits Toward Your Public Administration Online Degree for Prior Learning
Unlike many other courses in public administration, at USI we take your prior learning into account. With the online Master of Public Administration degree program, you can receive up to 9 credits for prior learning. If you have relevant work experience, you can apply that knowledge towards receiving credits toward your MPA. This can allow you to graduate earlier and pay less for your degree! See the links below for more information.
Students interested in applying for prior learning credits should contact the program director, Trent Engbers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who wish to receive credit for prior learning should submit a portfolio of experience to the MPA program director. The portfolio should be received after they are accepted to the program but prior to the completion of 9 credits. The nine-credit deadline refers to those graduate classes taken after acceptance to the program. The portfolio will be evaluated by a committee of faculty of the program. Portfolios are reviewed on a rolling basis. The decision of the committee or their designee is binding and there is no appeal.
The total number of combined transfer credits and PLA credits may not exceed 12.
Students who have completed graduate work at accredited universities will be able to transfer in up to 12 credits toward the MPA, based on their grades and the similarity of their previous work to that at USI. These determinations will be made by the program director and the members of the MPA evaluations committee based on best practices in the field.
The total number of combined transfer credits and PLA credits may not exceed 12.
Take Courses for Public Administration Specific to Your Interests
While our online Master of Public Administration degree will help you build an extensive skillset that can be applied across and between sectors, it also allows you to follow your specific interests with two possible concentrations, Nonprofit Management Administration or Public Administration. If you choose to focus on nonprofit management, your courses will be geared toward fundraising and volunteer management, grant writing, human resources, and leadership—all designed to help you take your place at the forefront of the nonprofit sector. Regardless of your concentration, you will develop your leadership, nonprofit, and public administrator skills to make a difference in public and nonprofit organizations.
Get Started on Your Online Master of Public Administration
Our 100% online Master's degree gives you the freedom to schedule your coursework around your availability. With 3 starts a year, you don't have to wait to begin the journey towards career advancement.
|Course Start||Application Deadline||Document Deadline||Registration Deadline|