Skip to content
Contact USI

IMPORTANT: You need to notify USI Risk Management if you are traveling to another country or region, other than the Approved Destination Countries listed below.

Risk Management needs to have a 60-day notice to add the destination country to the university’s insurance policy before traveling internationally. This may be a lengthy process between Risk Management and USI’s Insurance Broker.

Approved Destination Countries

Canada, France, Germany, Panama, Spain, and the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Wales).

Other Pertinent International Information

University employees and students engaged in official university international travel are covered under the University’s International Travel Insurance Program. Risk Management administers the International Travel Insurance Program.

The program provides insurance coverage and travel assistance for employees and students as outlined in the International Travel Insurance Policy. The employee program coverage includes general liability insurance, foreign voluntary workers' compensation, excess auto liability insurance, medical services, travel advice, security evacuation, and repatriation services.

Insurance Documents for International Travel

Click on the applicable link below for important documents related to international travel.

Employee International Travel Documents
Student International Travel Documents

Policy Descriptions

The following is a general outline of the coverage and does not detail the specific exclusions and coverage limitations.  If you have questions, please contact Risk Management at (812) 465-7003 or by email

International Commercial General Liability Coverage:
This coverage provides bodily injury, property damage, and personal injury liability protection for the University. Insureds include the University and its employees, but only for their acts within the scope of their employment by the University. There is no coverage extended for students or anyone else in the traveling party. It is highly recommended that all non-university employees be required to obtain their own insurance.

International Excess Automobile Liability Coverage:
This coverage provides automobile liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage. Insureds include the University as well as anyone using a covered automobile with the University's permission; however, the auto insurance is more than the compulsory admitted insurance for the jurisdiction where the vehicle is licensed. This auto coverage is NOT a substitute for compulsory admitted coverage. When renting a vehicle, purchase the insurance coverage offered by the rental firm.

World Wide Travel Assistance
Medical, Personal and Travel Assistance Services

International Liability and Foreign Voluntary Workers' Compensation Program for Employees
The University’s International Liability and Foreign Voluntary Worker’s Compensation program covers University employees’ liability while working abroad. This policy does not cover students’ liability while studying abroad.

The program includes coverage for claims arising from a third party against a University employee while engaged in university business, transportation expenses for an employee injured while abroad, automobile liability for owned, leased, or rented vehicles (primary auto liability insurance must be purchased in the country where the vehicle is operated), hospital admission deposits, medical monitoring, legal access and coverage to third-country nationals in the employ of the University.

This coverage provides Workers Compensation coverage for the University's employees in the same manner as they would be covered under the laws of Indiana. The coverage is on a 24-hour basis while our employees are in foreign jurisdictions. The coverage will also pay for repatriation expenses.

Center for International Programs Study Abroad

This webpage has helpful information on Study Abroad.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll in their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

IMPORTANT: Register in the STEP before you leave.

The benefits of Enrolling in the STEP are:

  • Receive important information from the U.S. Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
  • Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
  • Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.

U.S. Department of State -- Travel Info

Provides information on:

  • U.S. passports and international entry requirements
  • U.S. embassies and consulates
  • Entry and exit and visa requirements
  • Health and safety guidelines
  • Local Law and Customs

U.S. Department of State -- Travel Advisories

Any employee traveling abroad must provide Risk Management with the following:

  • Contracts or agreements which have indemnification and insurance wording. Before obtaining the authorized signature on contracts or agreements, Risk Management will review the document language to protect employee(s), student(s), and the University.

Emergency suspension of students who violate USI Student Code of Conduct -- Tools for Student / Participant Removal

​Anything you take out of the U.S. is an export; including data on laptops and cell phones and is subject to US export control regulations.

  • Export controls are US government laws and regulations that require federal agency approval before the export of controlled items, commodities, technology, software, or information to restricted foreign countries, persons, and entities (including universities)
  • Export control laws apply to research activities regardless of the source of funding, as well as departments, such as travel, purchasing, IT, and many others.
  • IMPORTANT: Failure to comply with the laws can have serious consequences, both for the institution and the individual researcher. Potential penalties include fines and imprisonment. It is critical for USI researchers and travelers to understand their obligations under these regulations and to work with Risk Management to ensure compliance.

How can export controls affect my study abroad program at USI?

Travel to most countries does not usually constitute an export control problem. However, any export of technology, even temporarily, is subject to US export control regulations and, in some cases, the host country's import regulations. This law can apply to laptops and other widely available technologies. Additionally, certain entities have been placed on "restricted party" lists that could prohibit us from doing business with them. USI Risk Management monitors this area on behalf of the University. 

  • Ensure that your destination is not subject to a boycott or embargo (e.g., Cuba, Iran, North Korea). If it is, a license must be obtained, and additional restrictions could apply to the program.
  • If USI property (laptops, PDAs, etc.) is being exported during the study abroad program, follow the normal procedure for clearing it through the Risk Management department.
  • If USI is entering into an agreement or contract with a foreign entity in conjunction with your study abroad program, restricted party screening will be run before entering the agreement or contract to ensure that the entity does not appear on any "restricted party" list.
  • If the USI program involves conducting or collaborating on research abroad, or the students and/or faculty are planning to take potentially export-controlled research with them, contact the Risk Management department at least four months before you depart from the US.

Who is responsible for export control?

The following Federal Government Agencies are responsible for implementing the export control regulations: