Skip to content
Contact USI

Changing Your Legal Name

Students who marry, divorce, or by court order change their name and wish to change the name on their permanent academic record must do so with the Registrar's Office. The student should submit a Change of Legal Name form to the Registrar's Office. The request must be accompanied by a social security card bearing the new name.

If you have not requested a change of legal name with the Social Security Administration, please apply for a new social security card with the nearest Social Security Office. Information on how to apply for, replace, or change your name on your social security card is available online at

NOTE: Refer to the Preferred or Chosen Name, Gender Identity, and Pronoun Policy for changes not requiring a legal name change.

Are you a student employee?

Student employees must contact the Human Resources Department; Forum Wing of the Wright Administration building, room 166, to submit the Change of Legal Name form and social security card. Federal regulations require employers to validate that each employee's name on file exactly matches the name which appears on the individual's social security card to ensure proper tax reporting.

Update your USI username/email address

After a Change of Legal Name has been processed, to also change your USI username/email address and display name in Blackboard, submit a Request to Update Email Address Due to Name Change form to Information Technology.

Changing Your Social Security Number (SSN)

If your social security number on university records is incorrect, prepare a written request to the Registrar's Office requesting a change and present the request and your social security card in person at the Registrar's Office.